Lion users: Does Chrome run well with Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mrsir2009, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Google Chrome is one of my most used applications on my MBP, and I'm going to be getting Lion reasonably soon... So does Google Chrome run very well on your Lion Mac?

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I'm running the dev channel and, in my opinion, it works fairly well. The only thing I've noticed that doesn't work is three finger swipe down to activate tab expose.

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

it runs pretty decent, although it still kicks in the nvidia 330m card on my mbp2010 every time i run it. also the new fancy two finger sliding forward and back is not supported even in the dev channel.

4. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Cool... Does all the multitouch still work with chrome?

5. Yuusharo macrumors member

The Chrome Canary build (currently version 15) does support two-finger swiping and just recently enabled proper Lion Full Screen mode, which runs great! It's a rough implementation, so don't expect full Lion support for a few more months. It's nice to know they're already hard at work getting Chrome to work well on Lion.

Here's a tip: On Canary, hold down the alt/option key when swiping three-fingers down to activate the Tab Overlay if you've enabled it under the about:flags page. Holding alt temporarily enables "legacy" three-finger gestures system-wide. Not great, but it allows you to maintain the gesture defaults in Lion while still being able to navigate applications as they're being upgraded to support the new gestures.

The beta and stable channels won't have these features for many weeks, but Chrome already works well on Lion and will get better very soon.

6. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

three fingers back and forward swipe doesn't work out of the box without reenabling the 'old' swiping in the settings.

7. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Really? What does Lion have instead to go back and fwd in webpages? They don't expect you to use the arrow buttons, do they! :eek:

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Two Finger forward and back works in the Canary Channel. App Expose also works fine for me.

9. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

until chrome brings out a new more or less stable version supporting lion you have to either use the arrow buttons or enable the SL type of swiping in the settings.

10. Yuusharo macrumors member

The new gesture is two fingers instead of three, and it corresponds to the natural scrolling setting in Lion. You "pull" pages to the right to go back and "push" pages to the left to go forward. Basically, it's two finger gestures in the opposite direction.

This is visual in Safari, where pages actually slide left to right to show you what's happening. Chrome Canary supports the basic gestures, but has not implemented the sliding pages, so it's a little less obvious what's happening.

You can also use the standard keyboard shortcut of command+[ to go back or command+] to go forward.

11. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Irnonically, I have LESS problems using Chrome than Safari when using Lion. Safari is laggy and I get spinning beach balls.

12. Yuusharo macrumors member

Yep, I've noticed that too. At first I was like "wtf, Lion runs terribly on my 2010 Macbook Air." Then I realized that it was specifically Safari that did that. I had used Chrome as my main browser and that's never happened on SL or Lion, at least not as often as Safari does.

13. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip. For me it's alt/option + four finger swipe

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yeah I was trying 3 finger too and was about to post about it til I read your post. 3 fingers still scrolls for me...

15. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

what is the exact setting I need to change to get my back/forward working again under Chrome?

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Use the 3 finger or to get the 2 finger working you need the Canary build, im not sure if the dev build got the 2 finger yet but Canary definitely has it.

17. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Dev channel was just updated. It includes full screen mode, with the option to pin the tab bar/awesome bar/bookmarks bar to the screen (ie. make it so it doesn't autohide).

18. professorjay macrumors member

Chrome has been working just fine as my main browser.

Thanks for the notice, I just started using it now and the fullscreen option you mentioned is great!

19. bully worm macrumors regular

Anyone running Chrome Canary see their CPU spike drastically like this??

[​IMG]

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This has been my experience as well. It was good for a laugh.