Lion Verdict

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eldiablojoe, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

So, what's the verdict on Lion? Thumb's up or thumb's down? Should I upgrade from Snow Leopard? Is there anything of which I should be especially aware?

2. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Lion is 1 thumbs up from me, not both though.

It doesn't affect me much other than some older games I liked to play in free time, but I miss rosetta.

With a macbook, the new clamshell directives dont allow the screen up to vent while hooked up to an external with the dedicated gpu.

Safari and Mail still buggy, but can turn some features off if you dont have 8gb ram to handle it.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

There are no vents in the keyboard. This is a completely disproved myth. Apple even provides instructions for using it in clamshell mode.

4. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

It is not just a vent issue, heat moves up that is physics. And the temperatures from the apple discussion thread over this very issue along with my own experience from seeing the effects on the laptops is terrifying. Unless you are really going to tell me you dont notice the added heat on your keyboard under heavy load and now how it heats up your screen as well when its in closed clamshell mode. Operating in the traditional closed clamshell mode with dedicated vram to the external with lid open is no longer possible.

5. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

The processor is designed to shutdown if it gets too hot. I highly doubt Apple would still support clamshell usage if it "is no longer possible". I don't know what effects you saw, but likely they were caused by something else. Clamshell usage has been proven with thermal sensors time and time again to be okay. But feel free to worry about the perceived threat.

6. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190417?start=0&tstart=0

Clamshell usage is fine, but as youll see in there somebody had to call in and got elevated to talking with a senior tech and VP who had the audacity to claim laptops were never intended to work like how the 8500 unique views to that thread alone were doing it.

It is not a perceived threat, heat ruins components; why should we fall back to the safety off from excessive temperatures when up until lion we could run closed clamshell and lift the lid for added heat dissipation. Read for yourself. I was a sceptic myself until I saw the problem first hand while running rapidweaver and my usual app suites with the lid closed.

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Guess what? The heat is going to be there one way or the other. The issue you're afraid of is that the heat might harm the screen. But, no one, no one I've ever talked to has had a problem going on years like that. I no longer do, myself, but used to before I built a new machine that I use with my monitor. Also, if the heat was truly great enough to damage the screen, why in the world would Apple sell keyboard covers?

If you've got heat high enough to damage the screen, you've got a larger problem.

Here's another thread on the issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1205487&page=2

8. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Fan has been replaced after failing initial test twice, but currently with Lion it is just fine. I think you are reading stuff into my comments and those of the concerns of the 8500 unique viewers on the particular discussion thread. I never said im afraid of damaging my screen. I said the heat is noticeably higher and any time there is added collective heat on anything mechanical it reduces life span. And as far as I know apple does not sell keyboard covers, their stores do but they are a commercial enterprise so why not make more money. You also are not comprehending the sudden changes in the new closed clamshell mode under Lion. Read some more on the new clamshell changes it is all in that thread and worth a half hour of your time to go through.

You may also be missing the changes in the 2009+ macbooks when they became all pro aluminum. There is no protective lining under the keyboard in the first gen unibody. Kind of a shame really, and a flaw they correctly rapidly even by Apple's standards.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I see here and over at the apple discussions forum. Lion has been a great commercial success for apple

Apple Press info

but while its been a great success for apple, there appears to be a number of significant bugs that have impacted users to a great degree.

Personally you need to take stock of what apps you have, and determine the compatibility. Also you want to make sure your peripherals are compatible, printers, scanners etc. Finally review some of the threads here where people are complaining about various bugs. See if those issues would impact you negatively.

Personally, I'd wait for 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 but that's just me. I waited for the first update on Snow Leopard before upgrading to that OS.

10. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

It's FULL of bugs, nothing genuinely fatal but overall a very annoying experience (for mac standards). I do not regret upgrading, because I enjoy the new look and feel of the os and I'm not doing anything critical on my home mac until apple releases 10.7.1 (soon, I expect/hope). But it's full of bugs. Needless to say, my work mac will stay on SL until lion feels entirely stable.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I downloaded Lion and installed it on my Macbook. It broke three things right away. My VNC clients no longer worked. My NAS drive didn't work. Crashplan stopped backing up. Crashplan was fixed in seconds by simply running crashplan.app and letting the JVM download. Done. My NAS simply needed a firmware update from LaCie dated 7/22/2011. Done. VNC is taking a bit longer. For now I have to stop using my external monitor until Apple fixes a VNC bug involving the use of an external monitor. I mourned the loss of Rosetta for a few milliseconds. No more Palm Desktop for old time's sake. Oh well.

I decided not to wait for 10.7.1 because I want to migrate my mobile me stuff over to iCloud as soon as possible to get back as much as possible of the money I paid for a .me family pack in May, just before iCloud was announced. If I didn't feel pressure to figure out the iCloud issue, I wouldn't mind waiting for 10.7.1.

I could live without the launchpad. I don't like it on iOS and I certainly don't want to deal with swiping through pages and pages of icons on OS X. I don't mind mission control. In fact, I don't use the dashboard, expose and spaces enough as it is so perhaps it will get me to use them more.

I don't like that Lion demands 2 G of RAM. I had to pry open 3 of our old Minis to upgrade the memory. While I was in there I popped in SSD drives. Still having to deal with hardware just to update the OS reminds me of what some PC users were dealing with to get Vista. I'm a strong believer that software updates and hardware updates should be decoupled as much as possible. I would rather get more RAM or an SSD when my system slows down, not simply because Apple decided to raise the requirements for the current OS.

I've gotten pretty good at taking Minis apart now and with a putty knife and #0 phillips I can have one open, RAM and HDD changed and put back together in under 15 minutes. Carbon copy cloner saves a lot of time as it's easy to clone the user's disk to the new one via usb and when I turn the machine back on with the new disk and RAM it "just works." and with an $8 USB to SATA enclosure, the old disk becomes a TM backup target. I should mention that CCC was able to copy SL but I didn't try cloing Lion. I installed Lion after cloning SL. I don't know if CCC could have handled the "recovery partition" properly or not.

I do like being able to resize windows from any edge. I don't mind the reverse scrolling. I LOVE what Apple has done with screen sharing. This alone makes Lion worth it to me. I no longer need ARD to admin my kids' machines. I can simply log in as me in the background without disturbing what they are working on (and without resorting to doing things in ssh in the terminal). Nice. I do like the recovery partition and as somebody who has had to dig for the SL and Leopard install disks too many times, I like the ability to make my own Lion restore usb sticks. But I used Ars method not Apple's. An 8 gig stick costs under $15. I like that Lion is licensed per app store user and not per machine. No more paying extra for "family packs." One $29 copy of Lion and all the machines in our house were done. I copied "install os x lion.app" to a usb stick so I didn't have to sit through a Lion download for each machine. I guess I'll keep it around in case I buy a used Mac that has SL on it and I want to upgrade it to Lion without sitting through another download.

12. pcomac macrumors regular

lion is ok. you have to turn off all the little annoying things that eats your ram and hard drive. battery life is ok. at first it was like 2 hours but you can fix it using shift+option+control+power button and it went back to 6+ hours. i love the spelling correction thing. i can't spell haha. i was scared before upgrading because of all the complains and problems people were having. i don't have anything on my almost new 13" mbp yet so maybe thats why it hasn't been that bad yet.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Thumbs down for me. It seems pointless, not even worth £20 IMO.

There's nothing massively bad with it I guess. Except launchpad.