Lion = Vista?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mark28, Jul 22, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I can't believe how much more Ram Lion uses than Snow Leopard? Now actually have to upgrade my 4 gb ram to 8 gb? :eek:

My ram is full and i'm getting page outs for stuff that was no problem in Snow Leopard.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL. Lion is FAR from Vista. Before you freak out, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

You may have better success in attracting responses to your thread (and avoid people suggesting you're trolling), and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

As I go around my house attempting to install Lion on all our old Mac Mini's, I'm not thrilled to get that dialog that says you need 2 G of RAM. This means a trip to Crucial and some time spent prying open cases with a putty knife. But how in the heck did you decide you needed 8 G?

BTW, every time Apple sneezes, it's not Vista. So far I'm liking Lion and nothing about it reminds me of anything MS ever did, except perhaps I finally have cut/paste in finder and windows that are resizable from any edge, not just the lower right corner.

4. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I only have 2GB of RAM and I'm having no problems.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

6. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I don't suppose we could all maybe come together on this one to put an end to this Lion is Vista nonsense? Huh, just this once, please?

Vista on release was awful with fundamental problems including, but not limited to, system instability, a crippling lack of drivers from crucial hardware partners (like the major GPU vendors for a kick off), crippling performance issues (file transfer chief amongst them) and was generally a far, far worse OS than the one it was intended to replace.

Lion, by contrast, is possibly the most successful big OS launch from the main vendors I can remember since.... well, I'm struggling actually. Windows 7 was good out of the box but there were still a fair number of common problems (albeit that's not really a fair comparison thanks to the plethora of hardware W7 has to work on compared to the limited systems that OS X deals with). Lion hasn't (thus far and fingers crossed) run into any major problems, the common problems seem to be almost exclusivley related to third party software and hardware and the usual complaining about features changing and thus disturbing the balance of the force. Heck, just look at the first page of the Lion forum right now, not one single thread other than the sticky and a poll is over 3 pages long and I think I'm right in saying all multi-page threads are opinion pieces. That's remarkable. Reviews are genrally positive across the board and the reviews in the mac app store are incredibly high considering the usual tendency to rank software down if it doesn't include a free unicorn.

As for the specific problem the OP has, GGJstudios's suggestion of looking to see what's hogging the memory would indeed be a very good place to start.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

4GB is more than enough to run Lion. You shouldn't be worried too much about page outs and memory usage. Mac OS X is very efficient when it comes to memory management. Lion is going to use as much memory as you have available.