Lion vs Snow Leopard performance comparison?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by skadd, Jul 18, 2011.

1. skadd, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

skadd macrumors regular

So, are there any Lion vs Snow Leopard speed/performance comparisons out there? You know, with graphs and all that. I can't find any.

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It hasn't even been released yet and you want graphs? :D

All I can say is the HD3000 graphics are just a wee bit choppy at times. (But I hardly notice). Other than that, Things fly on my MBP13 (Early 2011).

I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and this really helped.

3. skadd thread starter macrumors regular

I know the GM is out on various torrent sites, and developers got it, so one could hope.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The NDA has not been lifted. No one will have any graphs yet:D

5. skadd thread starter macrumors regular

6. wankey macrumors 6502a

I'm using the Golden Master and I can tell you that the graphical layer of Lion is ridiculously far faster than SL.

Everything just has that iPad like smooth-ness to it. Transitions feel incredibly fast and smooth and that *tiny* bit of lag and stutterness of scrolling in SL that I got used to is now completely gone.

And I'm using a 4th gen Penryn Alu MBP (the really old ones) so you can imagine what they stuff they have

7. labaom macrumors member

I disagree Lion is overall more sluggish than SL. I have tried GM on a clean install on a partition.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I did an upgrade and it's much more sluggish than SL is on 2010 i7 iMac with 12 gig of ram. I may nuke everything and try a clean install to see if that makes any difference.

9. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i tried both an upgrade and a clean install of lion on my 2010 MBP i5. In both cases lion was *much* slower then SL. using much more ram, graphical issues, stuttering and even freezing a few times.

10. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

When I came to 'mac' world, I was said that every new version of os, runs faster and better than the previous versions. Exact the opposite of what happens in 'windows' world in which every new version of os is heavier than older one.

Now I hear most of you telling that lion is slower than snow leopard.
    I am really glad to hear people telling the truth, but this truth really hurts me.

11. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

my anecdotal account:

Lion slower than SL when upgrading
    Lion faster than SL when fresh installing

12. wankey macrumors 6502a

I did a clean install and it's vastly faster. I dunno what you guys did to your installation files.

13. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, and it's notably faster although I didn't expect it to be.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AnandTech will have their review out on the day Lion comes out (looks like tomorrow). I can't post any specific data yet but I would say there is very little to no difference, as expected.

15. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Perhaps it is just me, but my system always feels sluggish for a few days after upgrading, but that subsides. I thought perhaps caches and other stuff just needed to be rebuilt, because after 10 or so hours of use I am always humming as fast as ever.

16. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

I know this isn't strictly on topic, but how does the Resume feature compare when used on SSD to HDD, obviously i expect SSD to be faster. I have a 2010 MBP 13" with a 5400 rpm HDD, is there a considerable difference between boot times when using Resume, as opposed to not using Resume?

I was under the impression Resume can be activated and deactivated, i might be wrong.

17. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I have a 2008 (Aluminium) MacBook with 4GB ram, it is starting to lag a tad around the place, is Lion gonna make it annoyingly slow?