Lion warning

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ttv, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ttv macrumors newbie

ttv

if you have a mac book air be warned that lion will disable your ability to borrow a disc drive from another computer.

no more music uploads from cd!!!!!!!!

went to the apple store today to see if there was a fix and was told sorry, just buy this 90.00 external disc drive to restore the functionality lion took away, and maybe apple will fix this. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

there was no warning of this when i Upgraded -- and i use that term loosely--to lion.

BE WARNED .:mad:

2. Oli3000 macrumors regular

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. As Oli3000 posted, you can use Remote Disc to access optical drives on other Macs or PCs.

4. anirudh macrumors 6502

I have done it plenty of times on my machine running Lion. Seems like the Apple store genius was just trying to sell a superdrive to you ;)

BE WARNED :p

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I used a generic _non-Apple_ USB external optical drive to load some software from a DVD, onto my Wife's new MBA no problem.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

All of my Macs have Lion and you are wrong. I've used disk share and it works fine.

7. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

you have no idea how to use this feature. Be Warned!

-JK. just joshin with ya.

8. cgallant725 macrumors newbie

Not to beat a dead horse, but i just tired it between a MBP and MBA both with 10.7 and it worked with no hesitation

9. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I have been using that feature a lot as well. My Lion MBA with both a Snow Leopard 13" MBP and my 2006 15" MBP running either Snow Leopard or just Leopard, I forget..

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

And all of you that have posted it works have tested itpost the latest lion upgrade?

11. imswimmin macrumors regular

Using Lion, I've even connected to other computers that weren't running Lion.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine works:

[​IMG]

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have the official Apple external Superdrive. I installed Office yesterday, no issues at all.

The drive is visible on my network too. Lion has not messed up anything there at all as far as I can tell.