Lion was my greatest enemy....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maschil, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Recently I Attempted to upgrade my computers hard drive only to find that my 1tb western digital was doa I think. After ordering a 1st samsung internal I attempted to install a clean copy of lion again looked online and realized I had to do a trick to download lion again from the mac store so I did and since then I've been trying to burn lion to a DVD.... Well I failed three times and wasted 3 DVDs then I remember I had my friends old 27 gb external lol yah I know that tiny....it was actually the hard drive out of his old computer but anyways I tried burning lion to it and it worked!!!! After that I held the option button to boot from the big flash drive went to disk utility to format the 1 tb and then I installed lion.....it was a little fustrating but it worked and I'm happy hope someone else will benefit from this experience. Thanks Mac rumors

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

1TB laptop drives are crazy flaky. Western Digital makes good stuff, but I had one customer who had four 1TB drives fail in six months. Don't trust that drive.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Hm really? Could have been a bad batch or terrible luck?
    As I have installed a fairly large amount of the 1TB Western Digital notebook drives without issue or failures. The drives are pretty solid. The newer ones coming out are suppose to be 9.5mm instead 12.5mm, maybe with a new design/platter density could improve their reliability.

Yeah thats the thing with Lion though, is its all media-less and has the built-in recovery partition on the same drive.
    Was this for a desktop or notebook?

4. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

i may have just dropped the drive honestly... or my boot disk didn't work... or the hard drive enclosure was broke, but nonetheless i get the samsung spin point 1tb which was a couple of dollars cheaper and is 9.5mm so I'm happy....