Lion Weirdness

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by paulold, Aug 10, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I am having some issues and I think it's all Lion-related.

1. Spotlight - I have an external hard drive attached to my Time Capsule but my Spotlight doesn't search the drive. I know about the Privacy panel in the Spotlight preferences. I tried adding the drive to the privacy panel and then removing it to encourage Spotlight to index the drive, but nothing happened. It didn't index the drive.

2. Disk Utility doesn't see my Time Capsule or my external hard drive. If I go into Time Machine, my Time Capsule will appear in Disk Utility. Is that normal or should my Time Capsule always appear in Disk Utility? Also, should my external hard drive appear in Disk Utility? I never see it there and I don't know how to encourage it to appear there.

3. Time Capsule - I just noticed that the my latest Time Capsule backup was today at 8:29 AM. Why hasn't it backed up since then? Is there a schedule? As far as I can tell nothing is wrong with my Time Capsule. Maybe I need to restart my laptop? My Time Capsule is far from being full so it's not like I am out of space.

4. Even though I have the problems mentioned above, I am still able to use Finder to browse my external hard drive. I can see the files, I can open files and do stuff. I just can't search the drive. Am I limited to only being able to use the Spotlight search in the Finder window that I have pointed at the external drive or should I also be able to search the external drive from the Spotlight on my desktop? When I search for files that I know to be on the external drive, they don't show up in my Spotlight results.

5. If I want to see the Get Info of my external hard drive, how do I do it? The way I get to the drive is via the Finder. It's in the Shared section. But when I right click it and chose get info, I get no info. It says the name of the drive and that its Kind is Sharepoint and that's it. Nothing about the size of the drive, how much space is available, etc. Oh and there's no drive icon on my desktop when I am browsing the external hard drive, though I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there. Maybe that's something an older version of OSX did.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You don't see the extrenal HD appear on your desktop? Not to be obvious here but go to Finder->Preferences under General and make sure that "Show these items on the desktop:" are checked off.

Boot into safe mode (hold down spacebar while reboot) and see if the issue with the external HD is still happening. Might need to reset PRAM and SMC.