Lion wi-fi problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Baloney1011, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Baloney1011 macrumors member

Bought a 15" MBP with Lion on it, had it for ~2 months and everything was good. Last Saturday, I don't know what I did, but wi-fi goes berserk. Connects for no more than 1-2 minutes at a time, then drops for another 2-3 minutes, then connects, etc., etc. It drives you crazy. One thing that might be interfering is Hotspot Shield which I downloaded?? But I uninstalled it because of the annoying ads, and it's not running in Activity Monitor!! I did everything - I tried pinging through Terminal; that wouldn't keep it open, I tried zapping the PRAM, and that didn't do anything. One weird thing that I tried in network settings was to create a new location, and, on that location, to refresh the DHCM or something like that in advanced settings. That made it connect for 2-3 minutes; then the story would start all over again. Any ideas? I'm currently typing this in Boot Camp and all is well with wi-fi in Windows. Lion seems like Vista all over again. :rolleyes:

P.S. By the way, I have 10.7.2. Could that be the problem? But the last time I did my software update was ~2 weeks before this issue started!!

2. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, forgot to mention that for some reason Lion is not accepting the password to one of my wireless networks. My PC accepts the password just fine, but the Mac just says it's incorrect. I'm reinstalling Lion right now, see if that helps.

3. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

I just reinstalled Lion and it seems to have helped - I'm currently typing this on the Mac side. But I'll keep you updated.

4. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Reinstalling Lion did NOT help. I'm still having the same problem.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had trouble with the wireless on my wife's mini after upgrading to Lion. I solved the problem by pulling a gigabit wire to her machine. Both kids still use wifi with no problem but they don't user their minis that much any more now they also have macbooks. I saw a $25 802.11n usb dongle in MicroCenter that said on the box it would work with OS X. I wonder if that would be worth a try?