Lion with no disk is a BIG ISSUE.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iMacBoy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

How do they expect us to cope?

I had Lion on my iMac and recently the HDD gave way and completely died, so i bought a new HDD... and i had to put my Snow Leopard disk in and boot that onto the HDD then i had to do an update to get myself the App Store and THEN i had to update it to Lion, it would of been so much easier with a disk..

Especially with my truly shocking download speed it takes me over 10 hours to download!

And i know there is ways to create a disk but i no longer have the "Install Mac OS Lion" file to do so! Is there anywhere i can buy one?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You can buy a USB version of Lion from Apple for $70 from an Apple Store. Or you can re-download Lion and extract the disk image and make a bootable USB drive yourself.

3. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

If you insert a new HDD can you boot from USB just like a Disk?

4. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you install Lion on a CLEAN HDD using USB?

Hi,

If i put a new Hard Drive in my iMac so it is completely clean and it has just been formatted, will i be able to plug my Lion USB (bought from apple) in and install Lion straight like that so no Snow Leopard even touches the computer?

5. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Yes, if you make the usb drive bootable.

6. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

here is another question...

i got lion from the app store, if i wanted to put it on a USB drive is that possible and how?

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes. Search around on here a Google, there are countless how-tos.

8. Takashi macrumors regular

Thanks for the info everyone. I created 2 lion install DVDs.

It's funny that apple expects everyone to have wrap speed internet. I can't imagine myself sitting in front of a dead computer for > 4 hours to wait for Lion to download & install.

9. wpotere Guest

10. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I think the reasoning is if you can afford to purchase a macbook pro, then certainly there is enough dough left to have high speed internet.

11. maschine macrumors newbie

How do you redownload lion? It came with my mbp and I can't figure out how.

12. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Sign into the Mac App Store and see if it's available in the purchases section, otherwise read the manual, maybe it's got mention of it.

13. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I suspect that, out of the millions of Lion users, nearly all of them will have to sit through that process exactly one time.

Your argument sounds exactly like the one we heard with the iMac. "It's funny that Apple expects everyone to have USB devices."

14. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I have a pretty decent cable based home connection and it takes me about 40 minutes to download. You must have a pretty slow one at 10 hours.

Run the Lion USB disk assistant app to create a bootable USB disk that you can use to boot up from and then restore Lion via the internet.

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If it came with your computer then it won't show up on the MAS.

So you acknowledge that the user you quoted has a very slow internet connection and then suggest that that person use the internet to restore Lion? How is that at all helpful?

16. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

The intertnet i pay for is actually good, the reason it is so slow is because we live right at the end of the line and the exchange point in far away from where i live. Trust me i have found BT up many times, they are useless.