Lion wont auto arrange folder and files.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xavio, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Xavio macrumors newbie

I've got a bunch of different files and folders in my Downloaded Files folder. As I assume there should be a way to make Finder auto-arrange the files and keep it ordered, Finder seems to mess it up all the time.

After I extract, lets say, a zip-file, the newly created folder ends up last in the creation-sorted view. Recently created folders resides on the top. And after the zip-file extracts and removes itself, it leaves a hole after it. No auto-arranging.

Then I choose to sort the view after creation date again. The files sort up correctly, but just for the time being, until I change something again.

Is this really normal behaviour? Or is it something I'm doing wrong here? Can't remember having this much trouble with Finder before. :confused:

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You don't say which View you've set your windows to. Icon, List...

3. Xavio thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be Icons.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have this same problem. Newly created files don't arrange themselves into place until you refresh... oddly enough, Windows XP does this too.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

That behavior always made sense to me. If you had some background process constantly adding files to a folder and those new files kept getting inserted at their appropriate sorted places, the display would constantly be jumping around. This would make is a real pain to be selecting files for some other operation you were trying to do.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes. Not only is it normal, it's quite logical. At least they give you a refresh option.