Lion won't boot. Stuck on gray screen

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dmelgar, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Was trying to work with HP support to troubleshoot a problem communicating with the scanner portion of an HP OfficeJet 6500a E710. They have me run the HP uninstaller to remove all HP software. They then asked to run verify disk permissions. Then reboot.

Upon reboot I get the gray screen with the spinner, and it sits there forever.

Any ideas what could be wrong or how to get around it?

I've used Command-V to get verbose output during boot. Last thing it says is that its running fsck_hfs. But I see no other messages after that. The CPU fan is spun up as if the CPU is busy.

I've booted using the recovery image and checked the disk. Everything checks out ok.
    I've booted into single user mode and run fsck and fsck_hfs. Both ran fine.
    I tried to startup in safe mode verbose. I let it sit for hours and eventually it had booted. But then I rebooted and it got stuck again.

Any suggestions appreciated. This is a machine I use for work and income. Neither of which are happening right now.

I've been trying to research how Lion starts up to see where it invokes fsck_hfs, but I haven't found any reference online to describe how Lion starts up. All references I've found refer to Tiger or earlier which has a very different boot sequence.

Thanks

2. Takashi macrumors regular

I don't know how to fix your issue and I don't know what the root cause is. The only thing you can do is to rebuild your machine using your most recent time machine back up.

Sorry and good luck.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Try running a new install on top of it if you can to correct the damage or just install and restore form time machine.