Lion won't install despite compatible hardware

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jgdh, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jgdh macrumors newbie

I have just tried to install OS X Lion on my Mac Mini, and get the following message from the App Store:

"This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer."

I have a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, and 2GB of RAM (see attached image), although I have to confess I upgraded the processor myself (with Lion in mind) from the 1.66 GHz Core Duo processor that the Mac Mini came with.

Is it possible that the App Store is checking model number rather than actual installed hardware? If so how can I persuade it I have suitable hardware?

Attached Files:

2. jgdh thread starter macrumors newbie

Installing on older hardware

Ok, so my guess is that the App Store is looking at the Model Identifier, rather than the actual CPU installed, and mine is Macmini1,1, whereas I need to persuade it it is Macmini2,1. How can I fake a different Model Identifier to get it to install?

3. jamesdstark macrumors newbie

I also have a mac mini that gets the same error message. I have a 2.26 intel core 2 duo 2gb ram. I also get the same error on my Mac Pro 1,1. It's really frustrating I don't know what's going on and google searches come up dry. Both my machines are supposed to be compatible. And my mac mini is 100% factory.

4. llanyort macrumors newbie

any word on this ?

i just upgraded processor as well, but cant get lion to work.
    give same error "this version of mac os x 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer"

just need a nudge...