Lion won't install on 2011 iMac with SSD, Disk not bootable?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DetroitBORG, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DetroitBORG macrumors regular

I have a 2011 27" iMac with the 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD. The Lion installer sees both drives, but the SSD is grayed out and tells me that the disk is not bootable. Of course, the SSD is my boot drive!

For the record, I have added and removed partitions for the Lion Gold Master. I have also tried the trick of resizing the partition to get the bootloader to re-index the drives. Still, no success.

According to Twitter, many others have this same problem and it's nothing new to SSDs on Macs. Does anybody know of a solution short of wiping out my SSD and trying a clean instal?

2. cfcadam11 macrumors newbie

Lion Installation Fix

Hi,

i had the same issue as you when trying to install Lion. As you have already tried the make the SSD smaller by 128mb and keep getting errors i suggest you boot from the Snow Leopard CD which came with you're iMac. Go into Disk Utility select the SSD drive and click repair disk. If Disk Utility finds any problems with the SSD drive it should hopefully fix them. If success boot back into snow leopard as normal, go back into Disk Utility try partitioning the SSD drive again by about 128 MB and this hopefully should go through with no errors. When the partition is Done (if successful), launch the Mac OS X Lion installer and see if it worked.

Thanks Hope this helped

PS great videos

3. DetroitBORG thread starter macrumors regular

Great, Thank You very much.

I did go through the process of resizing the drive, and the drive verification kept failing so I couldn't complete the operation. Finally, I resized the drive by no more than 1GB, and that smaller resize operation worked. That allowed me to instal Lion and then resize the partition back to full.