Lion won't install on non-Apple hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rixsurfer, Jul 22, 2011.

1. rixsurfer macrumors newbie

When I try to install lion it causes a kernal failur within the first few minutes of installation. I went the apple store and after trying several things, they are telling me that it will not load because I upgraded my computer with a non-apple hard drive? Is that possible? Is anyone else having this problem. If this is the case it's a boat load of crap! Not to mention that Apple won't allow you to upgrade the size of your HD even if you buy it through them. That would stick me with a 160g hd if I want to upgrade to lion.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I haven't has any problems installing Lion on my non-Apple hard drives. Maybe your Lion disc/app is corrupt. Have you tried redownloading it?

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's proabably the HDD itself. I bet it has some bad sectors that need repairing. If you have access to a Windows PC, take the HDD and put it in. Then get the program Spinrite. That will fix any and nearly all errors on a HDD. You have to use a Windows PC because this program is DOS based and requires a BIOS.

5. boylerman macrumors member

It installed fine on my Western Digital Momentus XT without a hitch.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Seagate maybe?

7. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

It's Seagate. And I have Lion is running perfectly on two Momentus XT-equipped MacBook Pros.