Lion - Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by px3l, Jul 28, 2011.

1. px3l macrumors newbie

I am currently running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on my 2007 MacBook specs:

Intel core 2 duo 2GHz
    1GB 667MHz SDRAM

is it worth me upgrading to Lion? will it slow my system down at all?

Thank you

px3l

2. Boo The Hamster macrumors member

Boo The Hamster

Apple are (I believe) quoting a minimum of 4Gb ram to run Lion. I think in truth it's more like 3Gb, but even so...

I ran it on a 2008 Macbook with Intel Core Duo 2.4Ghz & 4Gb ram, and after a day or two, once the indexing had settled, it ran at a reasonable speed.
    Boot up and shutdown times were significantly longer though.

However, I really didn't like the OS (because of the features rather than the performance), and so I've gone back to Snow Leopard.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I run Lion on my 2.4 black MB with 2 gigs of RAM, and it's perfectly fine. A hell of a lot faster and smoother than snow leopard. I wouldn't go back to SL if you paid me. I never liked the leopards at all due to the clunky performance. How did it take a "day or so" for the indexing to stop? Mine was done in a few minutes.

4. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Definitely upgrade your RAM first. Lion is a complete hog on my MacBook - 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM. I'm waiting for a 4 gig upgrade kit — hopefully that helps alleviate my issue.

5. Boo The Hamster macrumors member

Boo The Hamster

I couldn't tell you exactly how long the indexing took. Also, I didn't leave the Mac switched on - it was on and off as I was using it, so the machine didn't get a clear run at indexing.

All I could say is that straight after the install, it was noticably sluggish, whereas after a couple of days, things had speeded up.

6. Rambaud macrumors newbie

I "upgraded" to Lion a week ago. Performance seems slower (MBP with 8GB of RAM).

I could go back to Snow Leopard as I cloned the hard drive before installing Lion.

If I were you, I would increase your RAM and wait for the next incarnation of Lion.

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I firmly believe that if you have a MacBook prior to the late 2008 model with multitouch trackpad, no, there is little reason to upgrade to Lion. Stick with Snow Leopard.