Lion + Xcode 4 on Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by warfed, Apr 16, 2011.

1. warfed, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

warfed macrumors regular

I am thinking of buying a 13" air (1.86GHz, 4GB, 128GB) but I want to be sure I will be able to run Xcode 4 without any problems. Any developers here running Xcode 4 in lion? I searched and I know the current Xcode runs fine, but 4 is a bit more resource intensive. The laptop will be used for general stuff like web, email, word, excel and iOS development. I am trying to decide between an air and a Vaio Z as those are the only ultra portable laptops I found that have a higher screen resolution. Vaio Z is more powerful but also hotter and louder... so I think I lean towards the Air, but I want to make sure it handle iOS development.

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

The MBA will be perfect for your needs. I went to the Apple store and tried this and it worked perfect, no lag what-so-ever! And that was on the 13.3" 2GB RAM model.

3. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Well, the MacBook Air will certainly run Xcode 4 better than any Windows PC!

I'm running Xcode 4 on my MacBook Air with identical specs to the one you described and it runs just fine.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well that's because Xcode CAN'T run on ANY Windows PC period. Gotta have a Mac! :)

5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Well, yes... that's what I meant.

6. warfed thread starter macrumors regular

Great thanks! Are you running Snow Leopard or Lion?

Yes Mac is certainly better for Xcode :D But if it the Air wouldn't run it very well I could just use Snow Leopard in vmware. It's not very convenient, especially since there is no accelerated graphics. But it works.

7. dudeofswim macrumors member

I'm using Snow Leopard and xcode 4 on the same specs that you are thinking of. Runs just fine :)

8. MuDPHuDStudent macrumors member

Sure, you can run Xcode 4 on the Air. The problem is that Xcode 4 is terrible, so you might not want to.

9. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Explain yourself heathen

10. MuDPHuDStudent macrumors member

Xcode 3.2.6 is great. In Xcode 4 I can't even compile and run some simple C code. See this.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Macbook airs are very powerful. If anyone tells you otherwise they are wrong. I run XCode just fine on mine. I also run Maya, ZBrush, Unity 3D, Houdini, Photoshop and Corona SDK on mine regularly with no problems.

12. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Xcode 4 runs just fine here on 1.86 13". I didn't really even notice any performance degradation compared to Xc3. It does take some getting used to though - nothing seems to be where it was before.

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Then you haven't tried. Not to mention you are going to quote some PC World nonsense article as backup for your statement?

XCode 4 is fine and plenty of people use it on a MBA 13 and even 11". Yes its different from 3. Shocking isn't it?

14. warfed thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I personally prefer Xcode 4 over 3 because everything is in one window. I hate using interface builder in 3 especially if you have more than one screen open.