Lion Xcode - Do I need to remove Snow Leopard Xcode before installing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Noisemaker, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Noisemaker Guest

Do I need to remove my Snow Leopard versions of Xcode Prior to installing the Lion versions, or is it simply an upgrade process like other Xcode installs?

2. Lukapple macrumors newbie

3. loudog40 macrumors member

Ditto - the XCode for Lion installer wants another 8gigs and I'm wondering whether I can reclaim much of that by removing the old XCode/SDKs somehow.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

It is up to you. If you need previous builds keep them. Otherwise do what the About Xcode pdf says, pick which uninstall option you want and run the script.

5. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Actually, the Snow Leopard builds of Xcode will no longer work under Lion. I know this from experience - you'll get an error window stating that it can't run under Lion. I expected that, so when I did my "clean build" (clean install of Snow Leopard, patch up to 10.6.8, then upgrade to Lion), I never bothered with the Snow Leopard versions of Xcode. I waited until we got Xcode 4.1 and installed that one. if you have any beta SDKs, you'll also need to only load those specifically built for Lion as well.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I tried installing 4.1 over 4.0.2 in the Developer folder, and the Installer did not like that at all.
    Best to clean out Developer folder before doing an install.
    You might as well toss old XCode, or relegate it to a Snow Leopard only disk. It will not work correctly alongside 4.1 in Lion.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no idea what you are talking about. I downloaded and installed Xcode from the Mac App Store both prior to my upgrade to Lion and afterwards. Installing Xcode this way just works and works well.

8. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I installed Xcode 4.1 right on top of 4.02 and it worked perfectly. It actually said, "Updating current installation of Xcode." when I ran the "install Xcode" app that gets downloaded from the App store.

All of my settings transferred over to the new installation.