Lion + XP + Boocamp = Confusion. Help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sendergreen, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Sendergreen macrumors newbie

I am brand new to Mac, so please don't blast me if this is an easy fix. I just got a new MacBook Pro and upgraded to Lion immediately. I've installed XP Pro SP3 on the Bootcamp side of things, but I now realize that I have no Internet Connectivity.

I have to run XP, because I'm running an older version of AutoCAD Architectural Desktop that our principal architect DOES NOT want to upgrade from. Architectural Desktop 3.3 doesn't work on anything above XP, so I don't have the option to upgrade to 7.

Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out? I need to resolve this ASAP, because I have several projects that are due immediately and need to begin working on them while I'm away.

So sorry if this is something that I should know...

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Did you install the Windows Support that Bootcamp told you to install after installing XP?
    You wont get internet until you install Windows Support that you either burned it on CD/DVD, on a flash drive or a external HDD

3. Sendergreen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummmm... no. I wasn't even sure what the disc was that it had me burn at the beginning. I feel super stupid right now, but I'm just trying to learn. So all I need to do is run the support disc, and my problems will disappear? If so, this is fantastic.

Thank you very much for your help, I'll go give that a shot.

4. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Apple doesn't provide driver support for Windows XP or Vista on the 2011 Macbook Pro. Windows 7 is your only option for Boot Camp unless you're willing to scrounge around for manufacturer-provided drivers for each subcomponent in the machine, and that won't be an easy task.

There is good news, though: I did a quick Google search on your behalf and it appears that ADT 3.3 works in Windows 7's "XP Mode," which is basically a specialized virtual machine. It's included for free with Win 7 Professional and up.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

No problem!
    Welcome to the Mac World.

After you insert the disc, tell it to open and Apple Bootcamp Assistant will open for your XP so let it run.
    If that doesnt solve your problem, come back again.

----------

It seems like he doesnt have 2010 or 2011 MBP since he already were able to install XP Pro SP3.
    And I wouldnt consider the XP Mode "free" since thats one of the main point of professional and up besides back up/ restore and secure domain network join.

6. Sendergreen thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, akhbhaat is correct. It says that Bootcamp requires that I run Windows 7. No bueno. I don't want to spend any more money on any Microsoft products. :(

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Oh so you havent installed it yet?
    Yeah, unfortunately from 2010, bootcamp only supports Win 7s.

I wouldnt say its a really great choice but you can always download Win 7 from torrent ;)

8. Sendergreen thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, when I first did the Bootcamp setup, I did install XP. So right now, XP Pro SP3 is on there. But I can't do anything with it. I suppose I could install ADT on there, but I need to connect to the Internet to email files, etc. So I guess I'll have to look for a Win 7 Pro disc and just go that route. One of my co-workers said he could not get ADT to work on 7, so that's why I was avoiding that route.

Thanks so much, you guys. I really appreciate you going out of your way to help me.

9. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Why not use a virtual environment? VMware Fusion or Parallel's Desktop? Does something about this particular program require that you use Bootcamp?

10. akhbhaat macrumors regular

You can install it; Apple just doesn't provide any drivers (e.g. "Boot Camp Support Software") for it. This means that you won't be able to use things like the wireless or audio or any of the Boot Camp adaptations of the volume control and screen brightness keys. The only thing the Boot Camp assistant really does is partition the drive and tell the system EFI that the new partition has a bootable OS on it (so that when you hold alt/option, you'll have a choice to select it for boot). You can even put Linux there if you want. Actual support for a given OS is handled through Apple's driver package, and that's the problem here.

I guess it's kind of crappy that Apple doesn't support XP directly anymore, though I'm sure they figure that the OS (and whatever programs explicitly require it) is now old enough relative to the current hardware that virtualization is an acceptable replacement.

I'm sure there are drivers to be found out there for many of these things if you can find out who actually makes each of these subcomponents, but like I said: that's likely to be a tedious process, even for a power user.

I agree--this is worth a try. I wouldn't be surprised if an old version of Autocad runs just fine inside of an XP VM within OS X itself. If it isn't graphics intensive or uses OpenGL, you can also try a "compatibility layer" like Crossover, which actually converts Windows API calls into native OS X calls and should theoretically be much faster and more efficient than virtualizing the entire OS.

11. abiding99 macrumors newbie

Anyone know the OEM for the new MBA wifi card?

You can split the drive, set a partition for Windows, boot to an external XP disc and run the install. Wifi is the current issue. Lion Bootcamp doesn't support XP however if you have an old Leopard or SL disc the windows files are there and you can run that post WIN install. However still no Wifi. The driver exists I'm sure, if someone can pinpoint which one to use.

12. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Trust me, don't bother with XP. Your life will be so much more stress free with Windows 7.

Not just the fact that it's better, but because I've tried it on my 2011 MBP. I couldn't use the wifi as there are no drivers out there for XP, but I used a Netgear wireless stick. It was annoying.

Not only that, but I could not get the graphics drivers working (there are none out there for XP). You can't do anything well related to images without a graphics driver, trust me. It sucks.

There were some Intel drivers available, but it really didn't do much for me. It still felt slow and awkward to use XP.

Just get Windows 7 or even Vista or something. There's some cheap options out there, you just have to find them.

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not exactly a resolution, but you can run XP under Fusion or Parallells without issues (so this may be an option). I don't think that it would be an slower or more constrained than running XP mode within Windows 7).