Lions its up my Macbook Pro's 4 GB RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mohammad, Aug 20, 2011.

1. mohammad macrumors member

mohammad

Hi All,

I upgraded from SL to Lion directly without a fresh install.

Ever since my experience has been that Lion eats up my Ram where there is less than 20MB free and I have 4GB's of ram on my Macbook Pro. I have to way that my usage and the apps that I use now haven't changed when I was on SL? its still Safari, iTunes, Skype which are mainly open at the same time.

I have specially noticed that Safari eats up quite a lot if I have 5-6 tabs open at the same time for a period of more than 2 days.

Anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

2. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

It is normal as long as your computer doesn't slow down.. Does it?
    Also itunes now is 64bit so it manages ram better and can access more.

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Safari and Lion have known memory leaks. Hopefully they will fix soon. Welcome to upgrade country. iTunes at 64-bit means nothing. iTunes in Cocoa is what was better about it (for the future) not now though. Cocoa has the "ability" to manage memory better but that does not mean it will, depends on who and how it was written.

4. hormelmeatcompa macrumors member

If Activity Monitor shows you with a large amount of inactive memory and not a lot of free memory, you can go to the terminal and type "purge". It might only be a temporary fix as more things that are closed/quit could get put into inactive memory again within an hour or so, but it might still help.

5. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Yes. I have a Fall 2010 MBP with 4 GB of RAM and noticed the same thing. I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and Lion now runs very smoothly.