Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I had my lip pierced yesterday, and so far I really like it. Just a few questions I'd like to ask, to those who have had a lip piercing:

• The stud seems very 'tight' - the inside of my lip is bulging, surrounding the back of the stud, almost covering it
  • The top of my lip has swollen, its really fat and sensitive. Is this normal, or is the stud too tight (making the lip bulge) or too close to the lip itself (ie: not on my skin, more on the lip itself)
  • It's been bleeding quite a bit - normal?

How long did it take for your swelling to go down?

Thanks Guys :)

és:

macrumors 6502a
I'd say it's normal, yes. I've not had my lip done, but I've had my eyebrow, tongue and ear done in the past (I have none now) and they all did the same.

Keep cleaning it as your piercer should have advised you. If you do have any real worries, pop into the place you had it done and say 'is this healing properly and looking healthy to you?'

EDIT: 1. You don't mean that it's so swollen that it's going back into the hole, do you? Just the puffy flesh encroaching? If it's going to go through the hole then you need to go and get a bigger one.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
You don't mean that it's so swollen that it's going back into the hole, do you? Just the puffy flesh encroaching? If it's going to go through the hole then you need to go and get a bigger one.

Thanks for the reply.

No, its not that bad. It's just.. swollen. It's not totally covered the back of the stud, its just very puffy around it.

Hardly any pain.. just looks like I've been punched :confused:

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Thanks for the reply.

No, its not that bad. It's just.. swollen. It's not totally covered the back of the stud, its just very puffy around it.

Hardly any pain.. just looks like I've been punched :confused:

care to share your expectations of what metal through your face was going to feel / look like?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The stud seems very 'tight' - the inside of my lip is bulging, surrounding the back of the stud, almost covering it

No. But everyone's different.

The top of my lip has swollen, its really fat and sensitive. Is this normal, or is the stud too tight (making the lip bulge) or too close to the lip itself (ie: not on my skin, more on the lip itself)

No. But everyone's different.

It's been bleeding quite a bit - normal?

Absolutely not. But everyone's different.

How long did it take for your swelling to go down?

A couple of hours.

Sounds like an allergic reaction, are you sure they used stainless (or better still Titanium) and not silver (which is notorious for causing the symptoms you describe).

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
It also depends on if you had it professionally done, or had a friend do it. Did they use a sterile hallow needle? What I did for my ear, I soaked my lobe in peroxide for the first week once a day to make sure it would heal nicely, of course this could be different for a lip. Don't use alcohol though, it makes a healing peircing worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.