Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
My only question is, why?

Why mess around with and poke holes in your body? What will it gain you? You risk infection but don't really gain anything...

Will it gain you respect? Probably not, as most employers will look at it as an unprofessional appearance, significantly hurting your chances in an interview and killing any chance of working in the business world. Is it just to look 'cool'? If so, that's, well, silly IMHO.

You can imagine that my answer would be not to. (And I'm about your age, FYI)

how do piercings make a person look freaky? i have two facial piercings. had three. not to mention my ear piercings. they are a personal decision done for a variety of reasons. there is no reason to stereotype people simply because of a piercing.

But there is no sense to expose yourself to negative stereotyping deliberately.

I could dress like a hillbilly and speak with a southern drawl, it would in no way lower my intelligence, but people would assume I was a moron. Yes, extreme example, but if you know that a number of people in the world negatively stereotype a certain appearance, and there were no positive sides to appearing that way, why would you deliberately do it?

People, who think peircings are bad, in a general statement, I think, are just uncomfortable with the fact that being unique (in this matter) depicts a bad person. My mother, for instance, thinks that people with peircings do drugs, get in legal trouble, etc., but she is sadly mistaken. Some of the most sincere and real people I know have peircings. I'm not saying that all are, it's just that people need to get over themselves and relize that people are different.

Before I state this, let me state that I am NOT against people being different. In fact, I am extremely different myself, having Asperger's Syndrome. I can't stand people that try overly hard to fit in and act like everyone else.

However, there is such a thing as the opposite; trying too hard to be different. Your mother is seeing the common stereotype (not necessarily the truth at all, but what many people will see). Myself, when I see someone with lots of peircing, I see someone trying to draw attention. It may not be true, but it's the perception I have; that the person is trying to call attention to themselves with these metal things they are running through their face. So it is a negative perception.

Now, knowing that many people have negative perceptions of peircings and view it as 'freakish' (as an earlier poster said), related to drug use (like your mom), or just a cry for attention, why would you want to open yourself up to those kind of stereotypes?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
If you really want one, go for it while you're still young. You don't have to worry about the 'business world' because you'll be in college and you don't have to worry about what the CEO thinks. I have the same outlook on my beloved screamingly red hair. I want to do it while I still can-- when I'm a CPA, I won't be able to have my Little Mermaid-red hair. :(

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
But there is no sense to expose yourself to negative stereotyping deliberately.

I could dress like a hillbilly and speak with a southern drawl, it would in no way lower my intelligence, but people would assume I was a moron. Yes, extreme example, but if you know that a number of people in the world negatively stereotype a certain appearance, and there were no positive sides to appearing that way, why would you deliberately do it?

you could argue that everyone can portray a negative stereotype regardless of their appearance.

facts:
a piercing doesn't do any permanent harm.
its a personal decision.
it does not change a person.

in all honestly. i have received very little negativity from anyone besides this thread. most people are curious or plain just don't care. they have no effect on your ability to work.

^^ I see we got an expert in...

i don't know if this was sarcasm or not. either way i won't claim to be a piercer. i do have 8 piercings currently and have had 6 more besides that. i've had bad ones and i've had good ones. i learned from the bad ones by educating myself on the different piercing techniques, side effects, and just about all other manners of piercing and stretching.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
you could argue that everyone can portray a negative stereotype regardless of their appearance.

facts:
a piercing doesn't do any permanent harm.
its a personal decision.
it does not change a person.

in all honestly. i have received very little negativity from anyone besides this thread. most people are curious or plain just don't care. they have no effect on your ability to work.

All true (thanks for not flaming too, I know my post is flame-worthy on a controversial topic :) ). I think as far as work goes it depends where you are working though; corporate/business is unlikely to give you a second glance (these guys are predjudice against you if you don't show up to work wearing a suit, peircings fall under the 'un-professional' category along with jeans and a t-shirt).

Peircings do not change a person at all, but it can potentially change how the person is viewed by others. Let's face it, people in this world judge a lot by appearance and first impressions, they stereotype before they get to know someone. I've come across this a lot in my life.

It is of course entirely a personal decision and I don't predjudice against people with peircings, but I'll admit that the peircings do affect my first impression of someone (as I said above, it appears as a cry for attention to me, even if that's not the case or intention).

Yeah, but you're screwed if Magneto gets out of his plastic prison.

Wow, I just finished watching X-Men too. LOL

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
All true (thanks for not flaming too, I know my post is flame-worthy on a controversial topic :) ). I think as far as work goes it depends where you are working though; corporate/business is unlikely to give you a second glance (these guys are predjudice against you if you don't show up to work wearing a suit, peircings fall under the 'un-professional' category along with jeans and a t-shirt).

Peircings do not change a person at all, but it can potentially change how the person is viewed by others. Let's face it, people in this world judge a lot by appearance and first impressions, they stereotype before they get to know someone. I've come across this a lot in my life.

It is of course entirely a personal decision and I don't predjudice against people with peircings, but I'll admit that the peircings do affect my first impression of someone (as I said above, it appears as a cry for attention to me, even if that's not the case or intention).

Wow, I just finished watching X-Men too. LOL

well we judge everyone on a variety of factors. if i'm going to be judged because of my piercings so be it. i think and hope that my personality is better than that though. and hope its only a skin-deep judgement. i agree about the corporate stuff. but again, its not as if it is permanent. you can always wear a retainer or just take it out for an interview until you are sure they are comfortable with it if you want to keep it. if they aren't, just don't wear it to work.

the only point i'm trying to get across, besides it being a personal decision and such.. is that piercings are safe so long as they are taken care of, and are for the most part harmless if done right and taken care of.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
That's like saying, I'm going to dress in dirty rags when I go outside in public because people shouldn't judge me by that. The fact is that they do...
Personally I like some piercings. But many leave me wondering what the person intended. :eek:

As for how one is perceived, there is no getting around the fact that people will perceive you by how you look. Certain people have a dress style that you come to expect when getting service. Ones that come to mind are bankers, lawyers, doctors, etc. There are many others where the industry wears a uniform of some sort. I guess it all depends on how one wants to be perceived.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm amazed how many people here are horrified by piercings.

Earrings are piercings too, and probably most women in the world have them. Over 3 billion people can't be wrong :cool:

I've had mature ladies tell me 'piercings are bad' while wearing a full set of pearl earrings themselves.

I'd be willing to lay money that the male posters who have stated they are horrified by piercings happily overlook that fact in their girlfriend / pop group/ film star idol.

Altogether, it's probably more rare NOT to have piercings ;)

Cue tha cries of "But THAT's different!!"

Anyway the US business community is one of the most uptight in the world.

Here in the UK / Europe, seeing younger businesspeople with a facial piercing or two is not exactly common, but not unheard of either.

I had dinner at a the most posh and expensive hotel in a large city a couple of years back, and was served by a gorgeous waiter in full suit and tie and resplendent large mohician haircut, about 6 inches high.

I was so jealous that he was cooler than me. :p

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
you have got to be ******* me!?

I agree!! I think there is something wrong if you go out specifically to feel pain. Is life so numb that pain is all you can feel? If you want piercings, go ahead and get hundreds of them, I don't care. Just do it for the right reasons. Because you think it validates you because it hursts is a cry for help. Incidentally, it's not "different" to get pierced any more. It's not unique or interesting. It's actually pretty mainstream. That's why I don't have any of mine any more.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I would really advise against it. I think lip piercings are particularly unattractive, and from conversations I've had, I've determined that a lot of people don't like kissing someone who has a lip piercing.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I would really advise against it. I think lip piercings are particularly unattractive, and from conversations I've had, I've determined that a lot of people don't like kissing someone who has a lip piercing.

My girlfriend loves it.

I have a labrette piercing (for 12 years) and an eyebrow (used to have two nose piercings and about 10 in my ears....now reduced to one stretch plug).

As for professionality, I've been in employment in a university (after getting my PhD) for nearly ten years and have had all sort of dealings with business (I work writing software and demoing these things at large trade shows like Supercomputing).

I can't believe how conservative some of you people are. To the OP if you want the piercing get it, there are always dull people in the world who feel threatened by people who are outside what they view as 'normal' (though piercings are not quite as rare as they once were) . I wouldn't listen to them.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It's okay to want to look "professional," but not okay to want to look "cool" or whatever look someone with a piercing is trying for? Did it ever occur to you that in some career paths (especially artistic ones), a piercing might actually be a benefit?

Personally I don't like piercings, especially through mucous membranes, but I'm not about to suggest that anyone who wants one is inherently a bad person. Lots of reasonable people have piercings.

Maybe some people would never do some of the things I do -- like mountain biking or high-speed skiing, but I would hope they wouldn't judge my entire personality based on their dislike of some of my choices.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
<snip> ...but I would hope they wouldn't judge my entire personality based on their dislike of some of my choices.

Good luck with that. I've been in a lot of diverse fields and I've found it's always the case. Even if it's only one judgemental person, it's usually the boss.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
I personally wouldn't get it. Piercings aren't very attractive. The maintenance and risks, even if small, aren't worth it.

Plus there is also the risk that you will become one of those people who go on and on about how the piercing drives girls/guys WILD in bed or wherever. Does the world really need one more of those twits?

Try and save up a little more money and get the 24" iMac instead.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey all I am considering getting my lip pierced.. I have one ear piercing no big deal haha...I have wanted to do it since I was 16 years old and now I am 18..for the better part of 8 months... Does anyone know someone who has their lip done? Or mayeb somebody that did it themselves? Any sttories? If so please tell me? Anything I left out maybe? ...Much thanks :cool: :apple:

Definately do NOT do it IMO.

Piercings are filthy.

I'm amazed how many people here are horrified by piercings.

Earrings are piercings too, and probably most women in the world have them. Over 3 billion people can't be wrong :cool:

Yes, they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.