Liqueur Chocolate explosion... iPhone ruined!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ghoztman, Apr 29, 2009.

  1. ghoztman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #1
    In my building, I am surrounded by little old ladies with wireless networks. When their networks go down or they have any other tech issues, they call me. Tech issues only!

    One of the little old ladies insisted on giving me liqueur chocolates, which I put in my pocket. Minutes later I felt the sticky ooze on my leg.

    The juice from the cherry stuffed chocolate has clogged up the power socket, mic and speaker on my iPhone. The phone works just fine except nobody can hear me.

    Is this repairable? I am not going to open the phone unless it's toasted.

    Anyone had similar issues and have any tips on how to clean it?
     
  2. Devilishly Good macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #2
    Wow, that is definitely unfortunate.

    Did the chocolates just melt in your pocket or did you crush them open? I was thinking you could try some low level of heat like from a light bulb to get the sugars and chocolate to soften, and you could use a cotton swab to wipe the stuff away as it melts? Use enough heat to melt the chocolate but not enough to bake it on. That's the only idea I've got. :(

    I hope you can rescue your phone.
     
  3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

    Unspoken Demise

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    >9,000
    #3
    Death by sweet delicious chocolate :( I KNEW OLD PEOPLE HATED TRENDY ELECTRONICS! :mad:

    To help: Maybe try the previous poster's method. Try wetting the cotton swabs as well, so you dont get cotton bits stuck in the chocolatized areas.
     
  4. muledogus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    #4
    This is the reason my left pocket is for my iPhone and my iPhone only.
     
  5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2007
    #5
    Brings new perspective to Death By Chocolate.
     
  6. afw macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2009
    #6
    Try cold

    I would try making it nice and cold - either the fridge or the freezer. Hopefully that should make the chocolate and the juice hard, so you can kind of knock it out. I ended up with chocolate stuck in the charging outlet of a previous smartphone, and that did the trick. Making it cold made it hard and made it shrink just a tiny bit, so the pieces fell out.
     
  7. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #7
    [​IMG]

    Because the sugary juice went through the little grills on the bottom and all in the connector interface, I decided not to heat/freeze/knock/melt/lick/suck or coerce in any other unorthodox fashion the juice from my iPhone.

    I took it in to get cleaned, I'll see what they say.

    Thanks for all the tips though. :)
     

Share This Page