Liquid - battery or circuit problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by franzkfk, Jul 20, 2017.

  1. franzkfk macrumors regular

    franzkfk

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2011
    Location:
    Czech Republic
    #1
    Hi,

    so I accidentally spilled ginger lemonade on my Air.

    I acted swiftly. Turned it off. Turned it upside down. I've checked some videos and decided to open it. Bought the Pressed Air and Isopropyl Alcohol. There was a few drops n the motherboard, I've cleaned everything gently. The Mac is working fine. I need to clean keyboard key but that should be ok.

    The problem is that the Battery now says it is necessary to replace it.
    I've checked it with another apps and the Battery itself is alright - cycles, fully charged. The MagSafe is green. CoConut says the same - everything fine except the health is poor.

    Result - Mac won't start without the cable.

    Since I have right now only the screw for opening the backlit I cannot check other parts of the Mac. I'll go and buy the rest of the crews but .... meanwhile ... some thoughts?

    Thank you in advance, guys.
     
  2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2012
    Location:
    Between the coasts
    #2
    Coconut and Apple basically agree about the battery, they're just saying it in different ways. "Replace" is Apple's advice, Coconut's "Poor" leaves the judgment as to whether to replace up to you.

    Cycle count is a way of measuring expected lifespan. It doesn't tell you whether the expected life will be met. Apple uses that measure to decide whether the battery failed prematurely (and so, perhaps covered by warranty), or whether it delivered its expected lifespan (no warranty).

    Your Air was exposed to liquids. Any short-circuit, anywhere in the machine, no matter how temporary, has the potential to permanently damage the battery. Maybe the battery was in poor condition prior to the incident, maybe not. Regardless, it is what it is.
     
  3. notatechnician, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

    notatechnician macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2017
    Location:
    Bay Area and Orange County Area
    #3
    I'd recommend replacing the battery. I've worked on several liquid damaged Macs before (as an Apple-Authorized Service Provider technician), and liquid damage tends to work in mysterious ways. From what you're describing, it seems like your battery or battery controller may have been damaged by the liquid penetration - even if the physical lithium ion cells are fine, the board that connects the cells to the Main Logic Board may be reporting values consistent with a depleted battery. As far as repair options go, MacBook batteries aren't too expensive - any a local Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store can easily do the swap. (I would avoid attempting to replace your battery with a third-party unit because they tend to be unreliable and may possibly cause damage to your Mac.)
     

Share This Page