Liquid-cooled macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beosound3200, May 1, 2011.

1. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's possible, but probably not entirely feasible right now. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they use a real liquid cooled feature.

Right now, heatsinks uses a semi-liquid fluid to transfer heat faster then regular copper/metal. So it's almost like liquid cooled?

3. thurstmw macrumors newbie

4. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah but imagine the fully-fledged liquid cooling? and if they remove the odd too... imagine the possibilities!

5. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes i know, but they need to reinvent cooling in portable device especially in laptops, this cooling system has been with us for too long, cpus and gpus are only getting hotter and hotter. maybe they have achieved some kind of a breakthrough in this department

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Liquid cooling is not compatible with mobile devices.

7. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Remember the movie "Abyss" No body thought you could breath liquid oxygen:rolleyes:

8. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Liquid coolant is really good at moving the heat away from the component that's generating it, but it still has to go somewhere. Current systems have external radiators (kind of like a central A/C system's outdoor compressor). That wouldn't work too well with a laptop.

Can you imagine?

Who knows... maybe Peltier coolers will make a comeback.

9. johnnj macrumors 6502a

That's this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing

If you tried to breathe liquid oxygen your upper respiratory system would freeze solid. Boy that would suck.

10. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I never heard of liquid cooling in a laptop (until the appleinsider article), but my old G5 Mac Pro had liquid cooling but it made it very heavy since it contained something similar to a radiator inside. Apple only had it in one model, I think, and quite a few people claimed leakage. I would think it would be too heavy and I would worry about leakage.

11. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

How about a MacBookPro with ... LiquidMetal cooling? The surface would float through the heatsync and then back out onto... the surface!

12. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

why not make the entire back of the screen 1 big thin radiator?

13. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Cars use liquid cooling and they`re pretty mobile...;)

14. MacHamster68, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that idea is older then any MacBook already and dates back to 2002 or so when Hitachi had a water cooled laptop

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/hitachis-water-cooled-p4-notebook-20020719/

and as far as i know even toshiba had one and hp too , so nothing new at all , ok by the time apple went intel all the manufacturers had abandoned that idea already, but they still hold the patents , so it would cost some extra cash for apple to make a liquid cooled laptop

ok i'd rather would like to see a passive cooled laptop without any fan inside , and hate the idea of liquid inside ...just think about hw many laptops get killed by just spilling a bit coffee ..ok one solution for that is a panasonic toughbook W series , nice thin alu case and water and dust proof and it can fall of a table without getting dented and passive cooled

15. dusk007, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is not a new idea but it is difficult to get the heat there since you need to be able to bend the screen.
    Maybe liquid cooling can help here but it seems like an very difficult thing to make work and is much easier to get some meltdown if the tube gets a hole or the pump dies on you or whatever.
    It is just not a very reliable system and expensive and probably not worth the effort.
    Cars are very complex and big and expensive machines compared to a notebook.

Liquid cooling alone as the op wants it is quite useless because the problem in notebooks has never been getting the heat away from CPU and stuff (heat pipes work great) but to get the heat airborne and not let the whole chassis heatup to 60-70C.

Really cool though are static fans. They don't move air with a propeller but by ionizing the air over some tunnels. Apparently very power efficient and quiet. Might be they are not strong enough or have a too narrow operating spectrum.

16. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, then stop wondering why apple is all about iphone/ipad, pc arent going nowhere unless they reinvent cooling system, all they can do now is to remove odd which will give them a lot of extra space (goddamit a 1/3 of a 17 inch macbook pro, it HAS TO GO RIGHT AWAY!!!!) and go ssd all around, but after that - dead end.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Great example. Because cars are 13" x 1" x 9" also. :rolleyes:

18. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Miles, take a joke, just for once...you might learn to like it. :rolleyes:

19. CW Jones macrumors 6502

lol you beat me to it!