Liquid Cooling??? AND Core2 Extreme?? Anytime soon??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Winter Charm, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Well, i've been looking at the new MBP (macbook Pro) and i noticed they put in a penryn and 2.5Ghz clock speed. Now i am wondering if i should buy one now or wait until they introduce liquid cooling (Even watercooling) - because its extremely efficient, and the unit that i have in my quadcore desktop runs off the heat off the processor taking no extra power and no pump. -- if apple put a system like this in their MBP's and then used a Core 2 Extreme processor, i'm guessing we would see a HUGE performance increase.

soooo.... i was wondering - will this be coming out anytime soon? (less than 2 years) -- i am really hopeful that in 2 years we will be able to see a macbook pro with a core 2 extreme and it will run cool enough that we wont see problems with such raw power and heat output. so what are your opinions of seeing any processor in a macbook with equal or more power in the next 2 years?? and is there any possibility of liquid cooling??

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Last time Apple did a liquid cooled machine it turned out to be a bit of a liability. And it was a desktop.

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

Extreme processors are a waste of money. Period.

Laptop heatsinks that function like refrigerators are being developed, but don't expect to see those any time soon.

4. swordth macrumors newbie

Don't the core2 extreme processors use a ton of power? If they do, that coupled with pumping water through your laptop, would use up a ton of power, no?

EDIT: My bad, I checked, and it seems they dont use a lot of power. Nevermind.

5. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

well, that's the thing -- core 2 extreme does use a lot of power but i heard that theres a battery that has been developed on nanowire techonology that allows for up to 40 hours of battery life in a core 2 duo machine... it's the first major breakthrough and maybe it will open up the road to the core 2 extreme line. - as for the other thing, liquid cooling systems can be made to run off the heat of the processor ALONE -- they do NOT need a pump.

6. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

well, its kinda irrelevant -- after all - with a battery that gives out 40 hrs of life on an IDLE Core 2 Duo -- you could run a pretty decent extreme and get about 5-10 hrs oflife on it as it is. so no biggy, but i appreciate the time u took to double check on it, and you have to admit, it still uses more power than the Core 2 Duo.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Liquid cooling requires a pump, radiator, and coolant reservoir, all of which take up space. A small radiator would probably still require a fan.

The Core 2 Extremes of the new mobile flavor both have TDPs of 45w, I believe, which is pretty toasty for the MBP. Not to mention Extreme Edition processors are sold at a criminally insane markup.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure that Apple will stick with air cooling and 35 W (or cooler) CPUs for the forseeable future.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Agreed. C2D Extreme is a big marketing scheme...people think that because it says "Extreme" its amazing...:rolleyes:

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But... but AirPort Extreme IS amazing! It's 802.11 a/b/g/n!

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL. liquid cooling on a laptop?

Do you know MacBook Pro DOES conduct heat through its ALL METAL BODY?

Do you know MacBook Pro is 1" thick closed (LCD lid + keyboard+ components + case)?

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

do you have more info on this? i'm interested.

like a phase-change cooler? doesnt that take a lot of power?

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

I can't find the article anymore, I remember I stumbled across it while searching for "Montevina" several months ago. It's not at the top of the list anymore because of the flood of montevina related stuff recently. It also mentioned AMD's Puma platform, although the technology was being developed by a third party and not a silicon company.

Would NOT expect to see it in the foreseeable future.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd see liquid metal cooling before anything else!

15. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

yes i do know that lol, but i see what you mean about the core 2 extreme becoming a marketing scheme, and its tru that i wuld never pay for a processor that costs over 1500 ALONE, and yeah i guess that 1" case would make things difficult. anyways, i do have hope that the montevina chipset would be awesome =D and i have 2 yers to go before i buy my MBP (for college) so i guess by then they will support HD and lots of other cool features, and i cant wait for the multi-core GPU's

16. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Extreme Edition processors have always been a rip-off/marketing scheme. They cost significantly more, and have no advantage besides having an X in the model number and having their multiplier cap removed. Hence the reason Intel doesn't usually offer those procs in normal versions, so if you want the features of that processor, you HAVE to pony up for the Extreme version.

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Dude, seriously... liquid cooling in a laptop?

It's not a "matter of time" before Apple "releases" it, they're never going to. This is just ridiculous.

And yeah... the Extreme editions as everyone's mentioned.... are total ripoffs. You can clock past them with normal e8400 and e8500s and get superior performance... the extra cache they offer gives you a minimal performance increase, and the fast FSBs... well, they're overkill and don't increase speed really.