Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chandleya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Got an interesting problem on a liquid-damaged MBP 13". This is the early-2011 i5 model w/ intel gfx.

The display 'works' - as with most led issues, the panel is still producing graphics, just no light. However, when you first turn the machine on at boot - the LEDs come on, then 'gracefully' dim to zero as if to suggest software is dimming the LEDs, not hardware failure. Any ideas?

The keyboard and trackpad appear to be destroyed. Works fine via usb, ordering new keyboard and trackpad.

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
Maybe the keyboard button to dim down the display is "stuck", thus sending the signal to lower the light of the display?

edit: Try to disconnect the keyboard and see if the problem persists.

Last edited:

chandleya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Maybe the keyboard button to dim down the display is "stuck", thus sending the signal to lower the light of the display?

Unfortunately, the 'dimming' occurs within 2 seconds of the chime. I'm not under the impression that the key presses 'register' at that time for feature adjustments (vol, bright, etc)

----------

Hard to disconnect keyboard and press power key - they're integrated.

chandleya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Disconnected the backlight cable, all better now.

Perhaps the LED driver for the keyboard backlight is tied to that of the led display? I also cleaned the LVDS connector aggressively. Who knows..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.