Liquid Damage- Can I Retrieve Data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brookeshop, Nov 16, 2009.

1. brookeshop macrumors newbie

Hello. My MacBook Pro suffered from a overdose of some delicious red wine. Apple Care said it needed a new logic board and graphics card (i think that's what it called). I want to sell it as is on eBay. My question is, is there a way for me to retrieve pictures and videos from the machine? I don't really need them, I just wouldn't want whoever buys it to have them. Are they even still "there?"

Thanks so much for your help! I have since replaced the MBP, with very few tears involved.

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yes, as long as the hard drive wasn't damaged. If you have a unibody removable battery, then just pop open the latch that covers the battery and hard drive, then unscrew the hard drive brace, unplug it, then use an enclosure to connect it to your new MacBook Pro and transfer the files like any other external hard drive.

If you have unibody non removable battery, then you'll have to remove the entire bottom cover, but after that, it's the same with the hard drive brace and such.

If you have pre-unibody then it depends on how far back. The late 2006 and the ones like that you'll have to remove the battery, ram cover, the bottom screws, the side screws, then lift the keyboard up and detach it. Then unscrew the hard drive brace and remove the orange glued flat cable.

Note that for all these you'll probably need a T6 torx screw to unscrew the mounting screws that are screwed in the sides of the hard drive before you put it in the enclosure.