Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theod0re

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS. Last night some dumb girl spilled beer on it. It started freaking out and the only thing I could do, since the sleep/wake button is broken (can't shut power off) was to disassemble it on the spot. I really had no idea if it would mess with things since it'd remain on while I did this, but I figured it was my only option to salvage it. At the time it happened my SMS/phone calls were still working but the touch screen was really low brightness and shuttering on and off, and was also un-responsive.

So I left the phone halfway disassembled (I didn't take out the battery because all I had to unscrew was a knife). It was running that night but was off in the morning, and I left it in rice for 24 hrs. Tried to turn it on today and I got the Unknown IMEI/ICCID error. Tells me to plug it into iTunes for a restore but when I do that it just continuously shuts back on and off. The touch screen, however, works completely fine now.

What are my options here for keeping it alive? I really wanted to wait until next month to get the rumored iPhone 5 release.

Theod0re

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Well, if nobody can seem to have an answer for this question right now, at least answer me this.

Do the two screws right under the dock connector have any sort of relevance to the functioning of the phone? Like if they are missing, will the phone not work properly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.