Liquid Damage Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 5683592, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 5683592 Suspended

So after spilling some (not a lot) of water on my MBP I am experiencing some mixed results. After spilling the water, I dried it off the best I could as quickly as I could and turned it upside down. Leaving it off, I let it sit for a day.

When I went to test it out and turn it on today, I got some good and bad results (mostly bad ha). it will say it's charging and will charge the battery, when powered up, I can hear the fans starting up just like normal, the computer sounds like it's starting up, and also the front light (the blinking one by the ambient light sensor) will go on and stay on. But when I do all this, nothing displays on my screen, no start chime, and the keyboard won't work.

Am I SOL? What's likely broken?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

9 Chances out of 10 your logic board is done for. You could try removing all your RAM and attempting to start the machine up, if you get beeps that's a good sign. Also, you'd want to leave it to dry for at least 48 - preferably 72 - hours, not just a day.

3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Depending on the feasibility I'd open the case, disconnect what can be disconnected and leave it to dry one more day before calling the undertaker.

I spilled a cup of latte on my MBP 3 years ago and fried only the keyboard... changed myself and still running nowadays! Hope it will be fine.

4. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I'd say wait a couple more days, you could get lucky and the water evaporates and no damage is done. I cleaned a keyboard with overly damp wipes and it took a few days and slowly all keys started to work again.

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Thing is, if he's already turned it on after the liquid was spilled, the damage is done.