Liquid damage to inside of screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kcari643, Jan 19, 2009.

1. kcari643 macrumors newbie

I'll start off by saying my macbook pro is my baby but apparently that wasn't the case a few days ago. I was drinking coffee when the lid popped off, spilled all over myself, and then moved onto the keyboard and lcd screen of my mac. I ignored the fact that my skin was being scorched and went right for the laptop, flipped it upside down, and started to notice the coffee seeping into the left corner of my screen.

My keyboard seems fine, the computer starts up perfect but now I have a spot in the corner of my screen that looks coffee stained and even has a brighter spot in one part. The amount of space it takes up isn't too bad but being a graphic designer and working on my computer all of the time, this is something that will drive me nuts! :mad:

I called around, Apple first. I went to visit their people and the guy I delt with had an answer and quote right away as if he's delt with this plenty of times. $1200 he said. And no way I said. He told me that Apple needs to replace the entire LCD screen and that there is no way to clean off the stain by taking apart the LCD montior (but later said taking apart the LCD screen is a pain?). I have heard otherwise from some people that I'm calling. That it's possible to take apart the screen and clean it off. All in all, the last thing I want to do is destroy my computer to get rid of the stain. And also pay 1200 to fix it, I mine as well buy a new one, that's outrageous. It's not worth a 2 inch stain on my screen as long as this won't effect my computer in the long run.

If anyone has some good information that will steer me away from having someone take apart the lcd or if it's ok to do this, and if this will mess my computer up later please let me know! Greatly appreciated. :)

2. AR15MBP macrumors regular

I feel your pain. I spilled some water on my Vaio a few years ago, and it left a water spot IN the LCD. However, it went away after some time. I don't know if the color of the coffee makes this a different case. If it's actually in the LCD display itself, its probably not fixable. If it's between some sort of encasing and the LCD display, there might be hope. If it were me, I would try to take the computer apart to see if I could get inside and clean off the stain. I'm pretty comfortable with computers though, so it's really up to your comfort level to decide. I'm pretty sure if anything were to go wrong, it would void your warranty, so keep that in mind. I don't know what edition of Macbook Pro you have, so here are two guides for the unibody and previous version. Good luck.

Aluminum http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/Display/115/15/Page-1

Unibody http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Pro-Unibody

3. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

If you have one of the new unibodies, just look around YouTube, there are some videos of people taking off the glass with suction cups to clean behind them (I think).

4. applgeek macrumors member

you can take apart the lcd. but not completely. There is the glass unit, as well as a thick piece of plastic and Fernell lenses. The only problem is that the metal banding that holds it all together is hard to take apart and put back together.

A Macbook Pro LCD Only costs $150 (Cold cathode) or $200 (LED). If you are concerned that much, you can always just buy a new one.

5. kcari643 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the information! I did notice LCD screens aren't too expensive and for apple to give me a quote of $1200...I really hope they pay their computer guys a heck of a lot of money. I'm going to find someone to take the LCD apart and see what they can do, I'm not comfortable doing so. Does anyone know if this will effect my computer if I let it go for a while? I mean my computer is working fine now but who knows? That's the last thing I need. Thanks again!

6. kcari643 thread starter macrumors newbie

and also my mac is about 2 years old, so I'm not sure what model that is and if that will effect me taking apart the screen

7. Neededchumpoo macrumors newbie

That sucks dude, same thing happened to me played Counter Strike and spilt coke :( I tried to send it to apple but apple cars doesn't cover it anyways my brother called in again and we were able to send it in because he said that it was a defect, after that repaired call us saying that they found evidence of liquid damage and we denied it totally and said it could be dust blah blah so they are replacing my screen hard drive casing logicboard and disk drive
    I got lucky sweet talking apple care :)

But if you go to techrestore.com they can replace your LCD screen for $300
    There great except if you have a logicboard problem it's $1300 to repair
    But they offer many shipping option too I recommend them for your screen problem

Hope everything gets well,

Karem Idrees