Liquid Damage?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Exegesis48, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Exegesis48, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

Exegesis48 macrumors regular

So my wife has had problems with failing power adapters for ever since she got her macbook back in 2007. Apple has been great about replacing the adapters, but after the 3rd replacement went bad, they decided there was something wrong with the computer itself.

They sent the macbook in for repair and replaced the logic board and everything was fine. After receiving the laptop back my wife began having sound issues with the "Digital Out" intermittently thinking there was something plugged in where there clearly wasnt, which resulted in the sound not working.

My wife once again took the macbook in to the the apple store who in turn sent it off to the depot for repair. This evening we got a phone call from the repair depot stating that they had discovered a brown sticky substance in and around the display that was corroding the inside of the computer.

We are flabbergasted as we pretty much exclusively use our laptops on our laps and don't even have a surface where we would sit our laptops near any spill-able substances. Is it possible someone spilled something on our laptop at the depot and is now trying to blame it on us?

EDIT, Here's the picture they sent of the supposed "liquid damage". Looks like glue used to hold the bezel on if you ask me.
    [​IMG]

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I CALL BS (on Apple's part, not yours). Apple made a mistake. On every 2006-2008 non unibody MacBook that I have taken apart, there has been some sort of residue in that exact spot. If there is none on the logic board, there shouldn't be a problem. Tell them that they need to stop looking for sleazy ways to try to invalidate a warranty. Since it is (essentially) on the external case, it does not determine what is on the inside of the case.

3. Exegesis48 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what kills me. They sent me a picture of the reside on the plastic, why not send me a picture of the supposed "damage"?

4. eman macrumors 6502a

It's not uncommon to see a small amount of junk on top of the clutch cover (inverter). Where's the picture of the corrosion inside the laptop? Any brown crap in that location only is not going to corrode the laptop and I would call Apple this one.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I'm also wondering why they removed the bezel to gain access to the logic board... :confused: