Liquid Damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joemolomo, Jun 16, 2010.

1. joemolomo macrumors member

Hi my 10month old MBP has started freezing not a kernel panic but actually freezing, i'm guessing this is a over heating failsafe as I was running halflife 2 on mac osx using the high performance graphics. Not really sure it should be freezing just because i'm playing a game. So anyway I opened it up to see if it was dusty, it wasnt that bad but i gave it a blast of canned air anyway. Just before I put the case back together I noticed a part of the circuitry, it seemed like it was discoloured in different places, it doesnt look corroded, looks sort of like rainbow colors you get in petrol if that makes any sense, hope this is just normal and i havn't got liquid damage, as I want to take it to apple to get it checked out and obviously water damage = no warranty. Please see photo the area is highlighted red mbp_unsure.jpg

2. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Since it is 10months old you still have a warranty. Doesn't hurt to go down to the apple store and have them check it out if you have time.

About the liquid damage part.
    Did you let anyone other than yourself use the macbook pro from time to time? I am guessing you yourself should know if you spill any liquid into your macbook pro.

3. joemolomo thread starter macrumors member

No i'm always with my laptop if anyone else is using it, and i've never myself spilt on it. Wonder if heat can cause the coloration in the copper looking part?

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Maybe. You didn't accidentally spray that canned air upside-down and get the liquid inside on the logic-board did you?

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I highly doubt that's liquid damage - it looks like standard heat induced discoloration to me. But all that really matters is what the geniuses say - so take it in.

If you didn't spill anything on your MBP, I wouldn't worry. They're not out to screw people without legitimate neglect/abuse.

6. Reapur macrumors regular

MBPs all have a little sensor patch in them that changes colour if liquid comes into contact with it. What you highlighted looks like its changed colours due to heating, not liquid damage.

7. joemolomo thread starter macrumors member

Hi finally got it to apple this weekend, their running some tests, says on the sheet ASD Loops anyone know what ASD stands for? Apple System Diagnostic maybe ? :confused: they've ordered a new logic board just in case, which is very good of them :D

8. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I'd say the discoloration you've shown us is pretty normal. Mine looks even worse than that, but I'm in the very humid South and I bring my laptop to different places, like from the cool inside, to my scorching 120 degree car. Needless to say, it produces condensation. Not my fault, but I haven't had any trouble with water damage, and Apple hasn't given me any trouble with repairing it.

I think most of the discoloration is due to the heat boiling out the resins in the lead-free solder. I find it most prominent on the MagSafe board.

9. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Liquid damage can be easily defined as your fault. So if it was liquid damage there'd be a lot more damage other than that one spot.

10. carlsorff macrumors newbie

I spilled a tiny bit of beer on the keyboard of my Macbook Pro about 3 weeks ago. Computer is working fine, everything is normal but went to see the "Genius" and he did some checks and said that all was normal, only some sticky keys at that time, (but not now at all). So, knowing this, is still worth it to buy Applecare? Because I suposse the interior of the laptop must have some sign of the beer stuck...

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I agree. There's also other sensors that trigger when liquid is spilt, and I don't think that's one of them AFAIK.