Liquid damaged causes black screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mstampfer, Sep 2, 2012.

1. mstampfer macrumors newbie

Well I never though my two year old's potty training would become so expensive until one day she decided that standing over the (closed) laptop was as good a place as any...

Fortunately, everything aside from the screen seems to work. I can connect via screen sharing from an ipad so the network and graphics card are okay and can see the mouse and keyboard movements and the magsafe is in order. I logged in over ssh and the disk checks out as well. The only thing that's still not working is the screen which is completely black.

I did SMC and PRAM resets to no avail. I even open the clamshell case from underneath and swabbed the screen interconnect to the logic board with isopropyl alcohol. No luck.

the problem is anyway isolated to the screen so I don't dare to take the logic board out and give it a full scrubbing. This would surely cause more damage than cure.

What is the probability that a replacement lcd screen would fix the problem? They cost around £50 so not much compared to a new macbook but if I spend the money I want to make sure that its likely to fix it. Is it possible that "water" damage would cause the screen to go completely black leaving everything else intact?

Its a late '08 13.3" macbook model MB467LL/A.

2. theRAMman macrumors regular

3. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Just buy a new MacBook. I don't see how your MacBook wouldn't reek of urine if the logic board was soaked and you've made no effort to remedy it.

4. mstampfer thread starter macrumors newbie

no pee smell at all so I think its worth keeping the macbook. Beside that, the only thing broken is the screen. Every other component is fine. I just wondered if you guys ever saw a screen go completely black due to liquid damage.

5. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Maybe its not black. Your kid might've just bullseyed the inverter, killing the backlight...

6. mstampfer thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah its definitely black. I can't see a thing even holding a flash light against the screen. I've tried the brightness adjustment too. No luck.

Could it be the display data cable? Is there anyway I can test it?

7. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Its possible. But then again, it might me the logicboard itself. You never quite know with liquid damage, especially urine... The best advice i can tell you is to replace parts until it works. If you want to repair it, that is. Personally, i'd just hook it up to an externa screen and run it until it dies. And spend the money on a used/refurb/new macbook.

Replace in this order: Inverter - video cable - LCD screen - logic board