Liquid damaged iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mrawr, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Mrawr macrumors member

I pre-ordered my phone through Apple and received it on Friday (up and running after only 4 hours of activation issues, ugh). Saturday night, our server at Olive Garden dumped an entire tray of beverages on me, my friend, and my new phone. I dried it off and sucked Diet Coke out of the dock connector slot. It still works, but I took it in to Apple to see what they had to say. The bottom liquid sensor is red. The Genius told me I have to replace the phone ($199 replacement) and that in a few months, once the circuits corrode, I'll have a ton of problems.

Took the Apple work order into Olive Garden and they have to get approval through corporate to pay me. They also wanted to take my phone, but Apple will want it when I buy the replacement unit. I'm hoping they will still reimburse me.

Has anyone heard of any replacement unit shortages? Since the phone just launched, do they have replacements in store yet?

2. Eradik macrumors regular

I don't have an answer to your question, I can guess that they should be able to replace it with stock, or if they have to send it out i'd imagine it would just be a new one since refurbs will take awhile to start appearing.

I was curious, did Olive Garden put up a fight? Did they sound hopeful that corporate will approve it? And I agree that I wouldn't of given them the phone, either.

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Obviously no one here will know your exact answer. Your only option is to take it to Apple once the Olive Garden approves it. Only then will you know if they have any. IMO being this close to launch, they won't have any. They'll probably end up just giving you another one.

4. Dheald macrumors member

It will probably take a bit of time. You get a refurbished unit in return so I imagine they need some units to refurbish before you can get one. ;)

5. aristobrat, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

aristobrat macrumors G4

When I worked there, the Genius Bar always had an ample supply of replacement phones, starting on the launch day.

Replacement phones can either be brand-new or refurbed. My experience is that right after a launch, the replacements are all brand-new, and refurbs will slowly make their way into the replacement pipeline as returned iPhones get repaired and reused.

6. Mrawr thread starter macrumors member

The GM made it sound like they would approve the replacement. He stopped over to our table when it happened and was very apologetic. When I called the next day, he didn't make a stink. I'm hoping it's simple and painless. We'll see.

My guess is that they would swap the phone out with a new one as well. When I went in yesterday, the guy made it sound like I could buy the replacement on the spot. I didn't think to ask if they had one in stock. Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to share my story. One of those, "aw, bummer" moments.

7. mokeiko macrumors 6502

OP, you should have gotten the replacement when you were there. Apple would have given you a receipt for the replacement as well. Take a copy of that receipt to the GM of where you ate, then wait for them to send you the reimbursement. You would have to replace your phone anyway regardless of what the outcome would be from corporate. Good luck.

mokeiko

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

With Apple's $200 and 'we'll replace it no questions asked policy', it shouldn't make a difference, but you should make sure it doesn't count as a mark against you.

The last thing you'd need is for you to accidentally damage it a year from now, go to replace it, and learn that the $200 is a one time thing and that it would now be the full $650 or so for you.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

My girlfriend got food poisoning from the olive garden. They settled for like $2500. Don't wait on the managers keep calling and calling eventually they referred her to their insurance company and it got resolved pretty quickly.

10. superdudeo macrumors regular

I took my iPhone 4 in at the weekend, walked out with free replacement. I dropped it in the toilet. If you want any advice, let me know. The bottom sensor was red too.

11. Mrawr thread starter macrumors member

I specifically asked if this was a one-time $199 replacement. He said no and that I can bring in a smashed phone every day if I wanted and they'd still replace it for $199. When I actually go through with the replacement, I'll be sure to ask again.

I thought about getting it on the spot, but I wasn't sure how Olive Garden's incident policy worked. I'm sure it wouldn't have made a difference, but it's working right now, so I figured I'd file the claim with the restaurant first.

----------

How did you talk them into a free replacement?

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

They have brand new replacements in black boxes.

I had to take mine in this weekend.

13. Mrawr thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure they didn't want her going to BBB or even local news.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. I've no problem waiting a couple days.

14. superdudeo macrumors regular

Well I certainly didn't go in there and tell them it was water damaged. It still worked perfectly after I sucked the toilet water out of it and dried it for 24 hours! Have you already told them it was water damaged etc?

15. Mrawr thread starter macrumors member

Ah, yes. I told them it was water damaged. I took it in to make sure there wasn't any internal damage that would give me trouble down the road. I figured it would be less of a hassle to file a claim with the restaurant now than it would be months after the incident.

16. MrSunshine macrumors newbie

Perhaps you should convince Olive Garden to but AppleCare for you since it now covers accidental damage (including liquid). All you have to do is purchase AppleCare for $99 and throw in $49 for the replacement.

This might be illegal but it's going to be a whole lot easier to get Olive Garden to front $149+tax than $600+ for a new phone.

17. Mrawr thread starter macrumors member

I thought about that, but I read somewhere (probably here) that you can only purchase Apple Care at the time of your iPhone purchase now. Plus, without a warranty, Olive Garden will only have to pay $199 for the replacement handset.

18. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

This isn't true. Anyone who pre-ordered or bought the phone on the 14th can buy AppleCare+, which has the accidental coverage, until November 14th.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575?mco=MjU5MTk4Nzk

How to get AppleCare+
    AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Note: Through November 14, AppleCare+ can be purchased by customers who:

Pre-ordered iPhone 4 (8GB) or iPhone 4S
    Purchased an iPhone (any model) on or after October 14, 2011 (proof of purchase date may be required)

19. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

They've actually made it available until 11/14, for the plus, since some people had problems getting it through their carriers.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

People like you are responsible for Apple requiring Apple Care + and eliminating local Genius' to provide replacements at their discretion.

It's one thing for you to drop your phone in a toilet and get a replacement. It's another thing to come on here and "brag" about it as if it's OK.

Fact is - you're responsible for that iPhone - not Apple. It wasn't like there was a manufacturing defect. Accident or not - the iPhone getting water damage was your "fault."

21. Mrawr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info on Apple Care +. Food for thought...

Update: Olive Garden has agreed to replace the phone, no hassle. I just need to bring my receipt in and they'll mail me a check. Terrific.

22. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I would have said to the server. "Congratulations on your new iPhone purchase."

23. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

"checks in the mail" haha, good stuff.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is incorrect. There is often a supply of brown box replacement units on hand. The same has held true for iPads as well.

25. Mrawr thread starter macrumors member

Went into the Apple Store this morning to buy the $199 replacement. The Genius told me that he wasn't sure why anyone told me I had to pay the replacement fee. He gave me the phone for free considering the incident happened a day after I received the 4S. Olive Garden will be pleased, I'm sure.

In other news, the display on the new phone is noticeably warmer. I prefer the crisp cold white of my first 4S, but oh well. I'll go whine in the "MY iPHONE 4S's SCREEN IS YELLOW" thread.