Liquid-damaged Macbook Pro 13" in, sell or keep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohmegawsh, Oct 28, 2014.

1. ohmegawsh macrumors newbie

Long story. I've had two sticky keys on my macbook pro retina 13" in (4GB) for the past two months and finally got it into the apple store to have them fix it. I thought that it was perhaps food stuck underneath, but unfortunately, it's a bigger problem: liquid spill. I had gotten it for $1299+. I was dumb :(

I remembered yesterday, then, that i had spilled orange juice around my macbook around 2 months ago. I wiped it off, thinking it was fine and didn't think of it at all until yesterday. It hasn't really affected my macbook in other adverse ways besides the two sticky ones. If I think hard enough, I guess there were some skype sessions when the other end couldn't hear me. But it never ocurred to me that something bad happened to it because I had just gotten the laptop 3 months ago new for college.

My dilemma is, should I keep using it until another bad thing pops up, which it eventually will? Or, should I sell it off for my highest offer right now of $650, and buy a refurb with my added $100 apple gift card, totaling my costs to $350 for a new refurb macbook? It works fine, but the sticky key on the space bar has always annoyed me for the past two months and Im scared of new problems arising such as the laptop turning off randomly or other malfunctions. So, what should I do?:mad::mad:

2. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

well first i would seriously hope that you would share your problem with the possible buyer.

second it has been my experience that you will continue to have problems until something fails all together like logic board or something.

3. ohmegawsh thread starter macrumors newbie

I did share the problem with my buyer and they are offering me 650$. So, it seems as if right now there will be no problem (that is obviously wrong on my thinking haha), so it is inevitable that other things will start to fail even though it seems to work perfectly fine now?

4. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

i have had several experiences with friends that turn to me for computer support and when it comes to liquid i have seen them get worse. if i could afford it i would move on to new on if you have a buyer.

you never know but just my 2 cents.

5. ohmegawsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your advice. It's always nice hearing another one's opinions based on their experiences.

----------

However, if my estimated repair cost is less than 350$, should I go for that before I sell it off? Or should I sell it off just so I won't have to deal with other surmounting problems? I guess what Im asking is, if they repair the water-damage, there won't be other problems that arise unless I spill something again right? And finally, what are the costs of average repair costs for liquid damage?