Liquid Damge: Trackpad Advice

iczster

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me. My lad had a new MacBook Pro 13 inch for university and Ive just found out that there has been a liquid spillage and quite a bit of drama.

After some hissing and a burning smell along with the trackpad heating up, the trackpad no longer works. Currently the laptop seems to be working fine other than the trackpad is now totally dead.

Can this be repaired? On a 2019 MacBook Pro can the trackpad component and/or cables be replaced or would it involve swapping out with other bonded components?

Appreciate any advice. Cant really afford to be buying another machine Im fuming with him 😂

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Can this be repaired? On a 2019 MacBook Pro can the trackpad component and/or cables be replaced or would it involve swapping out with other bonded components?
Yes it can be repaired by Apple, but be prepared to pay. Apple will likely replace the entire top case which includes the keyboard, trackpad, and other components. Also, liquid spills can have a delayed effect on things going wrong. It's likely that there is other liquid damage which may show up in the future. You can do a search in these forums to see what others have experienced with liquid spills.

iczster

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Yes it can be repaired by Apple, but be prepared to pay. Apple will likely replace the entire top case which includes the keyboard, trackpad, and other components. Also, liquid spills can have a delayed effect on things going wrong. It's likely that there is other liquid damage which may show up in the future. You can do a search in these forums to see what others have experienced with liquid spills.
Thanks for the reply @chscag any ideas on what the costs would be? Presumably as part of the repair they would also assess for any other damage?

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Might also consider a mouse, external trackpad or tablet. Could be a lot cheaper. With a case or bag to put the whole kit in.

Reactions: iczster

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the reply @chscag any ideas on what the costs would be? Presumably as part of the repair they would also assess for any other damage?
Top case includes battery, trackpad, keyboard and Al case where the fingers rest. The battery replacement service includes replacing the top case and is $199 USD for 13". If you are not in the US, google the Apple site and see what the cost is for battery replacement for your system in your country.

Be as upfront with Apple as they can. Apple may not want to warranty the computer even if they do this replacement because of the potential for future failures as components rust from liquid under components (clips and other ICs).

As a parent I realize this stuff happens. Maybe you can make your son do the talking with Apple as a life lesson and try to make lemon-aid from lemons. I had several similar issues with my children. Best of luck.

Reactions: iczster

iczster

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Top case includes battery, trackpad, keyboard and Al case where the fingers rest. The battery replacement service includes replacing the top case and is $199 USD for 13". If you are not in the US, google the Apple site and see what the cost is for battery replacement for your system in your country.

Be as upfront with Apple as they can. Apple may not want to warranty the computer even if they do this replacement because of the potential for future failures as components rust from liquid under components (clips and other ICs).

As a parent I realize this stuff happens. Maybe you can make your son do the talking with Apple as a life lesson and try to make lemon-aid from lemons. I had several similar issues with my children. Best of luck.
Thanks for the advice mate.

iczster

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Update @jerryk and for anyone else in future with a similar issue.

Took it to apple Genius Bar and hoped for some mercy. I owned up to the liquid damage. The result a quote of £430 with potential extras once stripping down :(

Decided to take it to a certified independant who localised the problem to the trackpad and swapped in a new component. Took 30 mins and I was on my way at a cost of £200. Still bad enough and fuming at my lad but could have been worse.

Heres the fried trackpad you can see the oxidisation

IMG_5073.jpeg

Lesson shop around there are always options.

Reactions: Sanpete and jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.