"Liquid' effect during video???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EdwardCTV, Jun 26, 2009.

1. EdwardCTV macrumors newbie

hey guys...the other day i was recording a video and i noticed that there is a liquifying effect on the video screen during sudden twisting/rocking/tilting motions.

for example if i hold perfectly still the video on the screen will look fine, but if i perform a repitition of sudden movements on the phone some of the things in the screen will temporarily get "wavy" in accordance with the movement of the phone..

anyone else hav this problem?

2. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

welcome to digital video compression..

watch some other phone-recorded videos on youtube, etc...they will be MUCH worse.
    the compression algorithm along with recording quality, etc will give you those weird effects.
    not sure if you tried looking at the videos on your computer..but the vids (and pics too) look WAY better on a computer...not that you will completely get rid of that effect..but just saying.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think he's talking about how the image on the screen skews when you move the iPhone. I don't like it either. I think it's to prevent horizontal tearing or something. I've seen a lot of mobile video cameras do this.

4. Benjic macrumors regular

It's a rolling shutter found in many CMOS image sensors in video cameras. That's why the video is wavy, because the shutter isn't capturing all the motion in one frame from the same spot.