Liquid in screen of my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mezhopking, Mar 15, 2008.

1. mezhopking macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a horrible problem with my Macbook Pro's screen, my idiot mate spilt some brandy on it last night and now it appears to have seeped behind the screen.
    Best to show you a picture, rather than trying to explain:
    [​IMG]

Is this easy to clean? Can I just remove the LCD panel and clean behind the glass, or is the whole LCD panel sealed?

What do you guys suggest?

Additionally some of my keys don't seem to be working anymore either, and the two finger right click of the trackpad no longer works, but two finger scrolling does??!!!

Thanks a lot, Mez

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, from my experience there is good news and bad news here

I threw up on my MacBook Pro <long story> and had a similar situation when I finally woke up the next day

1. The screen had issues like you described on half of my screen - Good news, it took care of itself and now you can't tell there was ever a problem. It dried out on its own with no issues or problems.

2. The keyboard, however, is another issue. Mine had to be replaced because the 0 key and the ; key no longer worked. The Genius told me it would be under warranty unless they found extensive evidence underneath. They did, and they called it "liquid" damage. Cost me $156 and a couple of days to get it replaced (total).

Wish you well, it made me sick (again)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

capillary effect made that the liquid ended up in the screen. it can't be fixed as far as i know, sorry. my brother did the same with ice tea.

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

You don't have anything to worry about. After you break your mates right leg and move towards the left one he'll be ready to replace your machine. Make sure you get all the upgrades. :rolleyes:

5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

it will dry of course but if the liquid is anything but water, there will be residue stains on the screen.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not on my screen, and I assure you the liquid on mine was anything but water :eek:

I have no doubt every experience will be different
    I am grateful mine worked out the way it did

P.S. It did take about a week for it to go away completely

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

nice one ;)

8. mezhopking thread starter macrumors newbie

He has offered to pay for anything that's broken. I think I'll take advantage and buy a new LCD panel if there is ANY residue left after drying out.

If this does happen, I have a choice to make with regard to the new LCD panel... I've got the matte finish at the moment, but I'm tempted by the glossy finish. Is it annoying with the reflections? Or is the increased contrast ratio worth it?

Ta, Mez

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say it is just preference

For me, the glossy looks great and is tempting, but in the end I still opted for the matte and I have not been disappointed. It may depend on what you intend to use it for, etc.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]