Liquid indicators sensitivity--would washing the keyboard do it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by argopelter, Apr 27, 2010.

1. argopelter macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a new MBP, and I'm wondering about the chances that washing the keyboard with a little bit of water on a cloth would trip the LSIs. Is there a "safer" way to get rid of dust and the like?

A

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

A slightly damp cloth wouldn't hurt anything. I clean my MBP's keyboard that way all the time and it's been in service twice - once for a logic board replacement and another time for a SuperDrive replacement. Neither time was I denied a warranty claim.

You would have to actually spill liquid on the keyboard to trip the indicator.

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Is there any proof that said indicator even exists?

I was under the impression that it was just a patent application/idea, and hadn't been used yet.

4. vant macrumors 65816

They exist. They are called liquid submersion indicators. They are white but turn pink in contact with liquid.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Pick up some iKlear, it is meant to be sprayed on the keyboard and everywhere else.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Uh, not it isn't. Nothing is meant to be sprayed on the computer. Spray the cloth, not the computer.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have had my Powerbook for 6 years and nothing has happened to it by spraying iKlear on it. If you read the bottle it says "apply very sparingly with pump spray".

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes, I understand, but has anybody specifically found them in the MacBook Pro/MacBook?

I know they are there in the iPhone, but last time, when I bought my MacBook Pro 13" in for servicing, after spraying a bit of Windex on it, it refused to boot up.

I explained to the technician, and he told me there was no way they could tell, and replaced it for me.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Whenever you're cleaning something electronic, there should never be enough liquid on your cleaning cloth to leave whatever it touches more than only slightly visibly wet. It should only be wet enough to dampen surfaces for cleaning such that any residual moisture will evaporate within minutes. There absolutely should not be enough liquid on your computer such that it could leak inside and possibly contact the immersion sensors.

10. blackwind macrumors regular

The liquid indicator is something like this shown in the pic.

It's white film/paper that when it absort water it'd gone pink then dark red, the dark the red the more water might be ingressed.

Attached Files:

• c02.jpg
      c02.jpg
      File size:
      137.7 KB
      Views:
    • c03.jpg
      c03.jpg
      File size:
      155.2 KB
      Views:
  11. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Wow, they is pretty damn red, which part is that?

12. caonimadebi macrumors regular

I spilled about 6 oz of drinking water onto the keyboard of my unibody MBP, immediately turned it upside down to drain out the water. Thankfully, everything was fine (no shutdowns, all keys still worked), and I was able to get it serviced by Apple on unrelated issues, and no questions were ever raised.

13. ttran88 macrumors regular

14. blackwind macrumors regular

Above part isnt macbook.... It iphone 3gs charging terminal if u wonder what it is.

And Yep it's dark red and it has been badly water got into it.

Cheers