Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Yesterday Apple changed their corporative colors in their web, from the traditional silver that represented the alluminium of all their product line to a darker gray.

So... do you think this new color represents an all new liquidmetal age introducing it in next weeks with the new ipad?

Here you can see some pics of aluminum and liquid metal. You can see that colors and feelings matchs with what I'm saying:

Aluminium:

13zbtk8.png

287f442.jpg

2nqfalt.jpg

Liquid metal:

2v96bz9.jpg

29ldx03.jpg

w8rp5j.jpg

xll16r.jpg

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm old so go slow, how exactly does a darker gray represent "liquidmetal" and what exactly is "liquidmetal"?

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Liquid metal is darker than aluminum, apple aquired the patent, and their corporative color in the web represented silver alluminium. Why not?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think its less likely the UI change was because of Liquid metal, and more likely apple will be making some changes to its products.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Liquid metal is darker than aluminum, apple aquired the patent, and their corporative color in the web represented silver alluminium. Why not?

Well with that logic. I never thought about it but I don't camp on Apple's site. Whatever the case, now that I know what it is, a MBP that color would be fantastic. I always wanted a black alu mbp despite my ACDs being silver, of course.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I really really hope this is their plan. Theliquid metal look is so much more masculine. It has a big boy look too it. The smoke gray look is tough

Like the OP said, the light gray color scheme on the website was a direct representation of the aluminum they use on their products. They have now changed that color, so one can only assume, they are changing the material they use on their products to something with a darker color.

What material has a darker color?......The material they just recently bought this year....liquid metal

Last edited:

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
I would love for Liquid Metal to become the new metal of choice for Apple and given the acquisition it seems to be a logical assumption. Especially given the radio transparency. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the glass back of the iP4. It looks great and for me has proven very durable. I think this is a good find OP- it really makes a lot of sense.

That said, I wonder if the Ipad2 will come in Liquid Metal? So many rumors flying around that I really don't want to chime in for fear of someone calling me stupid to assume this or that. I didn't get the current model of the iPad as I just couldn't justify its existence in my world. Now, knowing what it can do I am very much looking forward to getting the iPad2. I have a 2008 17" MBP that I use for work and it does a great job with my design work. When I get home and I want to surf or look at trends in design it would be nice to preserve the life of my laptop a little longer. Since having a child, disposable income has become scarce and the likelihood of upgrading an expensive laptop is not happening for a while. The iPad would fit that bill and also work as a great device to take to client meetings. I never knew it had stylus support and I would certainly make good use of that.

In any case, I'm excited about the upcoming revision. Even if the changes are modest I'll still find great use for it, Retina Screen or dual core be damned. If I want to take pictures I bring my SLR. If it just happens to come in that dark grey metal- well that just looks cooler.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think that this is more likely for next year's products. It seems like this is the sort of thing that Apple would want to thoroughly test before shipping millions of devices with it.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
It would be great if they did it as the back is too easily dented. I would expect to see it in the smaller devices first such as the iPhone5 or a new Touch in the fall.
It's a very exciting possibility but perhaps too soon for the iPad. We shall just have to wait and see.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm old so go slow, how exactly does a darker gray represent "liquidmetal" and what exactly is "liquidmetal"?

Thanks ModDawg. I didn't even notice that news article and MR front page is the first page I usually go to! :eek:

Either way, I don't really think that is any indication of anything.

Are you daft? Her issue was not seeing the connection between Apple's webpage changes and liquidmetal, not the gibberish you were blabbering on about.
Well lets see, she didn't see the connection, MacDawg, pointed it out, and she responded that that she didn't see the on the front page. Yeah, I guess I'm daft :rolleyes:

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
For a second there I was going to say someone has been watching too many Terminator movies lately, but I do agree that the "liquid metal" color would be a cool look

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Their site has always been reflective of the OSX UI, so I was thinking it could just be the site moving to a more iOS-like look, with Mac OSX Lion bringing the desktop OS UI to par.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
If Apple were to switch it's MacBook Pro to LiquidMetal it would be a pretty big move since their chassis are machined right now while LiquidMetal seems to be aimed at injection processes.

Still if this happens I hope they'll use an alloy without Beryllium in it ;) .

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If Apple were to switch it's MacBook Pro to LiquidMetal it would be a pretty big move since their chassis are machined right now while LiquidMetal seems to be aimed at injection processes.

Still if this happens I hope they'll use an alloy without Beryllium in it ;) .

but would the cost be prohibitive, I mean using liquid metal products for the antenna of the iPhone is one thing, using it for the chassis or enclosure of apple products would be quite another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.