Liquid metal logo in iPhone 6 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lancastor, Sep 20, 2014.

1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

Is the Apple Logo on the iPhone 6 scratch resistant and made of liquid metal?

When not, why is Apple cutting out the Logo in the body to insert the logo again?

2. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The apple logo is indeed said to be liquid metal, and no it is not an antenna window because metals block rf

4. JawneeWin macrumors 6502

Looks alot better than the "painted on" looking one on the 5/5s models. I can tell you that for sure. It stood out to me as soon as I looked at the back.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, Phil said it was during the keynote.

7. Zxxv Suspended

how long before the - iPhone 6 overheated and i got branded :apple: on my hand posts :p

8. iregret macrumors 6502

Yep! I wonder though, why? Did they go to the trouble to make it stainless steel just for looks? Or is there an actual function?

9. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

10. moebis macrumors member

moebis

I've been wondering this too. Maybe they were going to put plastic there with a glowing light and changed their minds? Maybe it adds some kind of balance? Maybe they wanted to play with the liquid metal and it didn't work out? Does anyone have any idea why they would go through all of that trouble? It's possible to get the same look without cutting it out. Polished aluminum, masked and then sand blasted for that textured look. It really doesn't make any sense.

11. Nate. macrumors regular

Nate.

I've heard it was stainless steel. I just wish they'd find out a way to make the thing glow like a Macbook, I feel like that would be so cool.

12. Arran, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Scratch resistance? Polished aluminium is soft and scratches easily - particularly if it hasn't been hard anodized (which gives it a matte finish, rather than shiny)

My other though is that Apple want to get some experience with black finished stainless steel. This could be a field test to see how the material wears in use - before they release their high-profile watch with the same finish in 2015. I've long suspected Apple like to test new technologies covertly before risking their wide scale use in products. I've noticed a few other instances over the years.

Attached Files: