Liquid on my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeekabal, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Zeekabal macrumors newbie

Dears,

Is it possible to replace the keyboard of the A1502 (mid 2014) macbook pro?

In fact I have spilled some liquid on it.. After hopeless tries tryin to recover I have noticed the following.

If pressing the power button --> laptop no response. In fact no response to any of the key combinations

If disconnecting the battery pins, then plugging in the powef adapter, --> laptop power on . if i connect the battery, I can see the charging icon on the login screen.

On the log in screen I cannot do anything since the keyboard is still irresponsive.

Does this behavior means a keyboard problem? How can I tell that the logic board is not hit?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems like you have more issues from water damage then just the keyboard. I'd suspect some components on the logic board shorted out.

3. Zeekabal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. But is it possoble to replace the keyboard alone to give it a try ?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not entirely sure to be honest, apple has been making it difficult to replace individual parts but if I was a betting man, I'd say yes. Check eBay for parts to see if they're available.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It may be possible but that doesn't sound like the problem as others have mentioned a faulty logic board is far more likely.

6. Zeekabal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Here are my updates:
    The laptop is switching on and going into bootcamp.. I tried to plug in an external keyboard and after too many tries, I could finally write my password and log in.

The windows behavior was not really stable, when i disconnected the external keyboard and enabled the on screen keyboard the windows got stable and everything was fine except the keyboard.

When I press the caps lock on the on screen keyboard, i can see the small green light.switchin on the laptop kwyboard.

When i press restart from windows, in fact the laptop shuts down insted.

Does this tell that my logic board is safe at least.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's sounding promising but to be honest any liquid trapped inside will still be damaging things especially if you are using it.

here is a keyboard replacement guide by an amateur if you are fancying it.

http://www.hightechdad.com/2014/12/22/how-to-replace-a-macbook-pro-keyboard-after-a-liquid-spill/

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Liquid damage is extremely hard to troubleshoot. A tiny amount of liquid on something as complex as the logic board in a Mac or motherboard in a PC can cause major issues. There is a reason that Apple charges so much for this kind of repair.

9. Zeekabal thread starter macrumors newbie

Now unfortunetely whatever I do im not able to switch on the laptop.. The magsafe now is always amber, even if the battery is unplugged

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Did you confirm that the liquid has dried up? If you continue to power the computer on while there is liquid on the components inside, you're just going to continue damaging things.

Take the computer to Apple and ask for a repair quote.

11. newellj macrumors 601

Exactly, continuing to use the machine after a spill before confirming everything has been thoroughly dried is generally suicidal. Even then, damage is often already a problem, but at least verifying that everything has been dried out limits further damage.

12. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Part of the issue is that if you really look at the keyboard it leads right into the machine so, if you spilled liquid on that keyboard it got in the machine and directly on the logic board. Even if it was just water it will begin to warp the logic board. If it was something other than water the damage will be worse, maybe grow bacteria and degrade the integrity of the solder points. In any case I would take it to Apple a.s.a.p. to get a quote. Sorry to hear this.

13. zombiecakes macrumors regular

how long has it been since it happened? I spilled a lot of water on the keyboard before and immediately shut down the computer and let it dry. The keyboard was messed up and it kept repeating keys when I wasnt pressing them, after about 5 days the keyboard was back to normal. As long as you shut the computer off fast enough after the spill its not uncommon for water damage to just sort itself out when it completely dries.