iPad Pro Liquid Retina is silly and counterproductive

laela

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
On the iPhone XR, Liquid Retina allows the screen to reach closer to the edge of the phone and minimize bezels. It makes a lot of sense, and is clever.

On the iPad Pro, it's just stupid! We can easily get a full screen with all the pixels, given the big bezels. Instead, Apple made the baffling decision to waste precious screen real estate just for marketing purposes.

I feel ashamed for Apple Design. Clearly Apple Marketing are calling the shots now. :(

Let's not talk about that gratuitous aspect ratio change. :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: VMMan and Cape Dave

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
On the iPad Pro, it's just stupid! We can easily get a full screen with all the pixels, given the big bezels. Instead, Apple made the baffling decision to waste precious screen real estate just for marketing purposes.
Completely disagree. The bezels allow you to rest your hands/fingers on them without covering the screen. On the 10.5" iPad Pro, the side bezels are so thin that your hands/fingers will definitely cover part of the screen while holding the iPad in portrait mode.

I think the bezels on the 2018 Pros are perfect. Looks great in terms of design and usability.

laela

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Completely disagree. The bezels allow you to rest your hands/fingers on them without covering the screen. On the 10.5" iPad Pro, the side bezels are so thin that your hands will definitely cover part of the screen while holding the iPad in portrait mode.

I think the bezels on the 2018 Pros are perfect. Looks great in terms of design and usability.
I have no problem with the bezels, I'm complaining about Liquid Retina and the wasted pixels. Apple went out of their way to nullify perfectly good pixels!

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I have no problem with the bezels, I'm complaining about Liquid Retina and the wasted pixels. Apple went out of their way to nullify perfectly good pixels!
There is never anything shown in those corner pixels. You’re not losing usable screen real estate. Agree that it’s pure design decision, but that’s what apple understands better than anyone - that nicely designed tech products are nicer to use and command a premium.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
There is never anything shown in those corner pixels. You’re not losing usable screen real estate. Agree that it’s pure design decision, but that’s what apple understands better than anyone - that nicely designed tech products are nicer to use and command a premium.
There is something shown in the corners! E.g. a remote session screen from windows looses its task bar. Because of this these apps cut the corners off. I don't upgrade because of this...

Reactions: cibonak

laela

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Is this about the rounded corners? I thought Liquid Retina was the name for their current lcd screen tech as a whole?
Yes, Liquid Retina just means round corners. Apple confirmed that to press.

Man, I hadn't even thought about Remote Desktop. Remember hot corners in Windows 8. That won't even work here. Lame.

Pointless compromise in a Pro device.

Reactions: Porterhouse

laela

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
It's looks better and more modern. It also unifies the design language of Apple devices in 2018. I love it and am happy to waste the pixels.
Apple is not unifying anything. They dropped Lightning. They changed the design to be closer to Macbook Pro.

Then, inexplicably and inexcusably, they gimped the screen. As in they invested engineering to GIMP the screen. Why? To match a Pro device, that's getting closer to Mac, to the iPhone XR? Any designer worth their salt would see the folly in this in this waste of resources to compromise a product. Btw, which sheet of paper has rounded edges?

No, Phil Schiller is in control now. Ive didn't even bother to record a video for the event.

Last edited:

ConfusedChris

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
U.K.
I thought of using some correction fluid on the corners of my 9.7” Pro for that Liquid Retina look, but ordered the 11” instead. Most of the apps I use have already been updated. :)

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
On the iPhone XR, Liquid Retina allows the screen to reach closer to the edge of the phone and minimize bezels. It makes a lot of sense, and is clever.

I feel ashamed for Apple Design. Clearly Apple Marketing are calling the shots now. :(

I like the bezels. Need finger space yo

laela

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
It’s just a name....like bob
So because Phil Schiller spent a million dollars coming up with a new name, the iPad Pro has to be compromised and pay engineering cost so it can be branded by Apple Marketing?

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
I’d just say Apple either
- care nothing about current generation pro users and their favourite apps, or
- care about “future” pro users that uses iPad Pro as their so-called “pro” device.
Either way, they believe customers carry no value and no longevity. Once money is in their pocket, it’s done.

laela

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Go to an Apple store and go ag on one.
OMG you are so right. Apple's stupidity knows no boundaries. This is the result from another thread of running an app on the Liquid Retina rounded corners. 12.9 style.
upload_2018-11-10_21-13-41.jpeg

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Yes the rounded corners force “padding” on un-updated apps.

I’m ok with the rounded corners, but it’s tedious that apps that should work at the same resolution (12.9”) now have to be updated to conform to this new style.

Reactions: VMMan and laela

Ryan P

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Hah. Yes that was my screenshot. In fairness though, I think it has less to do with rounded corners, but with how iOS on the new iPads treats the status bar and bottom bar as protected space causing apps not following iOS guidelines to scale improperly. (Essentially porting the iOS notch changes and home button changes to the iPad)

Reactions: rafark and laela

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Hah. Yes that was my screenshot. In fairness though, I think it has less to do with rounded corners, but with how iOS on the new iPads treats the status bar and bottom bar as protected space causing apps not following iOS guidelines to scale improperly.
The same apps work fine on the older 12.9” (which I still have for now).

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I think it looks nice and ties the product together better. In future iterations they will likely keep pushing the display all the way to the rounded edges anyway. In updated apps I’m not noticing any difference in UI elements. The corner radius is pretty tiny relative to the display size. And on the 11” they are fully located in a region that previously didn’t exist, so overall display surface area is still larger. On my 12.9” it’s already so huge that there’s no way it could matter in any real or imagined scenario that I can muster. This is a non-issue through and through.

Zune55

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2015

I guess apple also wanted to avoid the notch. They may finally have figured out that people aren’t liking the notch. Because of bigger bezels at least notch is not an issue. I also want bezel less iPad but as long as notch is hidden i am okay with this design.