Liquid spill on MacBook Air 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bbrutus, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Bbrutus macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

A few days ago I spilled some diet coke (like 100ml) on the bottom half of the keyboard (and the trackpad) of my 2013 Macbook Air. So I immediately did all that is suggested when you have a situation like this, I turned it off, put it upside down in the L position, and let it dry for 48 hours.

I just turned it on again and all works perfect (I'm typing this post on my laptop right now). So I think I got very very lucky. But now I'm worried for the long term problems this spilling of mine can have. What about the corrosion that can cause damage the coming months? What's my best go at the moment? Shall I open it up and try to clean every component with 99% alcohol to minimize the chances of corrosion (I don't have much experience doing this, so I could also bring the macbook to an Apple center) or should I just leave it and hope for the best?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Coke is very corrosive, and I'm sure the sugar won't do any good either.

my advise is to clean off the logic board with some isopropyl alcohol. You may have dodged a bullet but you don't want to risk the long term health of the MBA

3. Bbrutus thread starter macrumors newbie

Diet coke, no sugar

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well then the artificial sweetener - that may not be too good for the computer. Either way you have a substance on the logic board and/or components that may damage the circuitry in the long run