Liquid spill on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raw911, Apr 19, 2010.

1. raw911 macrumors regular

I spilled some liquid on my mbp. As of right now it does work but I have to use a plugged in keyboard. Went to apple genius and he told me that i can replace the keyboard part but eventually the inside other parts will corrode. I am asking about how long do you think I'd have before this thing totally craps out. If I can still get 2-4 years out of it then I'd consider it. Anyone else been in this situation? Replacing keys is about $300 or I can pay flat fee of $1200 and get the juts replaced. I just got a new mbp today and don't really just wanna thrash this one if I can still get some use out of it. My wife has an older mbp and would give her this one once fixed but if not gonna last long she may as well keep her older one.

Advice needed asap thx

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's no way to tell, especially given that you don't mention what spilled. Even then there's no way to tell.

You might as well keep using it as a desktop with the external keyboard; I don't think I'd bother replacing it.

3. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

I spilled some beer on it. :mad::mad::mad:

4. stjohnswell macrumors newbie

I spilt a cup of tea on my white macbook. Some of the keys kept sticking, so I took it to the apple store and fessed up. The guy swapped the topboard free of charge even though it was out of warranty. Apparently some small crack made me eligible for a recall.

It's been running fine for a few months since the repair.

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I wouldn't worry much about corrosion yet. Have the parts properly cleaned without the battery inside and make sure that it is not going to be wet when you/they put the new battery in.

6. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the apple guy opened it up and dried up and blew out anything that he saw in there. It works fine cept keys are all jacked up.

7. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

heyyy, I bring bad news my fellow beer drinker.

Asus G71 Laptop

I spilt beer on mine and yeah sure, about 20 keys died that night. Next day, 18 came back to life, YAY problem solved. I took the correct precautions to saving the computers life however in the following months many things started to malfunction and die. My GPU will not play any games anymore without EXTREME GPU lag spikes. My screen has to be pointed at the most obtuse or acute angles possible to work. What's more is the hardware in my PC screams loudly at me whenever any process is initiated.

Sure, your computer will be on life support, but it will be hell to use.

(This advice is only from experience, you may have cleaned yours better than mine so there is a chance you may never suffer these problems.)

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to a 1 day old MBP, I don't really know what to say. However I reccommend immediate professional attention and replacement of any effected parts.

8. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Yeah, 1200 usd for replacing the insides - great value Apple (not).

I'd just open it up and clean it myself with some distilled water and iso-propanol.

9. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

ok .. but no its not the new one .. thats what prompted me to get a new one

10. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

okay, well get a new one :D