Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schlaflos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Hi! Hope you can help me here :(

About a week ago I managed to spill liquid (pure water without gas) on my 3 month old MBA (2014).

It's starting after drying it out but with fans at high speed and (after successful boot) with kernel_task at 350%. It's very slow then. Also there is no light on the magsafe.

When I put it in sleep mode and wake it up, it's acting absolutely normal for about 10 seconds.

Well, the apple diagnostics are telling me also that there might be a problem with the SMC. SMC reset isn't possible. The MBA is starting immediately.
I tried to flash the SMC manually and it got flashed successfully - but the MBA is still showing the same symptoms.

So my questions are: Is there somebody who can tell me where the SMC chip is? Any possible solution to this problem?

Everything would work but this one little chips seems to make the whole logic board unusable... this is making me so sad :(

I appreciate any help!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The SMC chip should be soldered and you will very likely need a logicboard replacement.
Remember to get insurance and that applecare is not a real insurance against accidents.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
The SMC chip should be soldered and you will very likely need a logicboard replacement.
Remember to get insurance and that applecare is not a real insurance against accidents.

I second this...

I had a 2013 MBAir that survived a splash of coke... the replacement keyboard and cleaning of logicboard cost me $400. I used the laptop for 14 months after the incident with no issues, and just sold it for $500 yesterday when I upgraded to the Pro.

This puppy is insured... like my iPhone and iPad. I passed on AppleCare.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
A burned out usb controller chip on the underside of the trackpad can also cause the issues you are seeing. Try to disconnect the one thin ribbon cable at the logicboard that comes from the trackpad.
Doing this you WILL loose both keyboard & trackpad. Use a usb keyboard + mouse and then recheck kernel_task %
I wager it is back to normal = Replace trackpad

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I did the same on my 2012 Macbook Air after 3 weeks of ownership, i went to the genius store and played dumb, my symptoms were just like yours. They said that they had detected slight water damage, and because it was slight and i had only had it a few weeks they fixed it for free.

The repair job sheet said they replaced the trackpad too, which if it is the case the bill would be around £60 if you have to pay out.

schlaflos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Thank you all!

I tried with trackpad / keyboard disconnected but I get the same issues.

One thing I forgot to mention is that if I disconnect the battery, hold down the power key for 5 sec and then connect the magsafe still holding the key it's working perfectly but with fans at 100% and still not showing a light on the magsafe. At least it's fast as usual.

This 5 second thing is something like boot without SMC I think so this should also be an indicator that the SMC is broken.

I think I have done to much on my own to go to the Apple Store. Only two of four indicators on the battery are red so I can't understand why the logic board or the SMC should be broken. Still think there HAS to be a way to repair this - even if I couldn't do it on my own.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
if you close the lid with it off, then plug the magsafe charger in, when you open the lid does it self power on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.