Liquid spillage and AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SethBoy, Feb 6, 2009.

1. SethBoy macrumors regular

Okay, so I spilled a little chocolate drink on my MBP (classic) a few week back, but I did the appropriate steps and all is fine and dandy now. I suppose there's a little residue here and there, but I've cleaned up pretty much all visible traces, even those under the keys of the keyboard, though I think there is some underneath my trackpad button as it feels slightly sticky.

What I want to know is, should this computer require service in future, would Apple put it on liquid damage and not cover it? If so I will seriously reconsider getting the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Any thoughts?

2. n8236 macrumors 65816

Unless, u're very certain that u've done a Helluva job cleaning up the liquid, I would suggest AppleCare because they won't find out about the spill. But, in the event that ur machine needs repairs and the techs do find liquid residue, u're hosed. AppleCare needs to be bought within the warranty period of your machine.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The new MacBook and MacBook Pro computers, introduced last week, include two Liquid Submersion Indicators, which are small sensors located under the keyboard and near the trackpad that change color when exposed to a liquid. 1

So, did they change color?

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if they find traces of liquid spills, and they do look for such things, then they might well say you're not covered under the warranty because of the spill.......and having Applecare wont help you out if they find evidence of the spill.

5. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

The irony being that you can't even be bother to type out 'you' properly...yet "u" use apostrophes...

6. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i spilled some water on an apple keyboard and it stopped working.

i called apple and said my keyboard was broken and they sent me a new one.

i love apple and will forever give them my business.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have the feeling they'll treat a water damaged computer differently than a water damaged keyboard.

8. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

This is very annoying. Clearly the drink did not affect anythihg. It was a very minimal spill, and I'm sure very little liquid really got underneath the trackpad and keyboard. Most were on the surface.

Should I send my MacBook Pro for servicing to see if they would cover it before purchasing AppleCare? I still have warranty till mid-March. Will they void any remaining warranty should they find signs of liquid spillage? My MBP is the non-unibody one. I've read that the new ones have liquid detectors.

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Only if the liquid submersion indicator is not red. If it's red, your warranty is terminated... but you can still purchase AppleCare.

10. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

He said he has the classic MBP, only the new ones have the indicator.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And besides the fact that the old machines don't have the indicator, there's no point buying AppleCare if your warranty is terminated. If you bought AppleCare after the indicators turn red, you're paying them for no reason, because they won't fix damage you caused yourself.

AppleCare only extends the manufacturer's warranty. It still does not include repairs due to accidental damage.

I have my laptop covered under home insurance. I can throw my laptop underneath a car, completely destroying my laptop, and yet the insurance company will reimburse me. ;) They won't even raise the premium or count this against us, since our house has never been robbed, and we've never made a claim against the insurance. The monetary value of a laptop is so small (relatively speaking) that they'd cover it without blinking an eye.

I know this because I was afraid my laptop suffered damage from water last year, and I enquired with the insurance company. Turns out that I didn't need to because an Apple reseller replaced my logic board without telling Apple about the water damage. Nice guys. ;) Only a single drop hit a part of the logic board with low visibility.....they didn't even have to cover it up before sending the damaged logic board back to Apple. I guess if the water damage was apparent, there's no way they could do what they did for me. :D

12. imanwarih macrumors newbie

i'm sorry that my english is bad before.i spilled some liquid on my MBP too,and that liquid is baileys(alchohol & sticky).now,some of the light of my keyboard doesnt work properly and the "n" is like always pushed and always typ like nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. so pathetic.what should i do?if i bring it to apple center,how much cost it will takes?or better if i buy external keyboard?please give me some advice.

13. sb88 macrumors newbie

where are the liquid indicators located? I have a July of '09 Unibody MBP (15in), and I spilled about 2 tbsp of cranberry juice on the trackpad the other night. I have noticed a bit of sticking, which seems to go away with continued use, and then come back in the morning or after discontinued use. Would this have hit the indicators? I am going home from college this week for Thanksgiving break, and I was already planning to take it in to the Genius bar for other problems, and I was thinking of getting it all cleaned out...Would this help?

14. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

If people spend over 1 grand on Macs, why do you eat/drink by one? I would assume that people realize it cost over 1 grand, and needs to be treated well.