Liquid Spillage on a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GgMcG, Mar 18, 2010.

1. GgMcG macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm afraid I've had a bit of an epic fail. My brother and sister got me a MacBook for Christmas, and I managed to spill half a bottle of water over it on Monday. I wiped it up, and at first, it seemed fine. Then I carried it to the library, and now pretty much half the left hand side of the keyboard won't work, along with other important buttons including the delete key. This was not my finest moment. I turned it off, thinking that it might have been something to do with carrying it, but can no longer log in as I think the shift key is stuck on, capitalising my password. I have left it for a couple of days, hoping it would magically sort itself out. Obviously that hasn't happened.

What's my best option here? Do I completely level with my brother and sister, admit I was an idiot and hope a clever Mac person can fix it (if so, does anyone know roughly what this would cost?), or is there anyway I can get away with it on my warranty (despite it clearly stating that it doesn't cover liquid spills, which I'm fairly sure is the classification this would fall under)? Or is there anything I can do/ask a slightly tech-y friend to do? This is really annoying as I'm not convinced it was a 100% before - the caps lock key kept sticking and the cursor kept displaying as a line.

Thank you!
    G

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have a look at the Guides article about spills.

You won't be able to get it replaced under warranty as the liquid detection things have surely been triggered.