Liquid spilled on 2011 MacBook Pro 17-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Feb 17, 2016.

1. tubeexperience, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I have been holding dearly to my 2011 MacBook Pro 17", knowing that Apple would not make another one.

Over a month ago, my drunk S.O. spilled water on it.

I have previously disassembled this laptop routinely for cleaning and applying new thermal paste, so I have the toolkit on hand.

A minute after the spill, I had the back cover opened and cut power to the logic board.

In 40 minutes, I had the laptop disassembled down to the keyboard.

I wiped the logic board with clean cloth and clean it with 91% rubbing alcohol.

I then use a hair dryer to blow on the keyboard from the backside.

After a couple of days drying, I reassembled the laptop, but it won't turn on.

Then I took the laptop to the Apple Store, but the Apple "Genius" (and I put it in quotation for a reason) told me that my logic board is gone and I need to pay close to $1000 to fix it.

I took it home and then remembered that the power switch is connected to the keyboard, so there was a chance the keyboard is bad and prevented the laptop from turning on.

I bought and installed the replacement keyboard. After pressing the power button, the charm came on and I felt a great weight has been lifted off me.

It been over a month since my laptop came back to life and I have been using it everyday.

So, should I still be worry about consequence of the spill coming back to haunt me later?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It sounds like you handled the spill in the best possible way, but there is always a chance that some of the liquid made its way under a component and corrosion may show up later. Plain water is probably the least likely to cause issues in the long run, so at least you've got that going for you.

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I do have to question the knowledgeability of the Apple "Genius".

Had I not known better, I would be out of ~$1000 replacing a part that I don't really need to and possibly getting back one with a defective GPU.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's just Apple policy. If a Mac is involved in a spill, they replace all parts that may have been damaged and charge a hefty fee.