Liquid spilled over MPB - keyboard problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tanyia, Nov 6, 2009.

1. tanyia macrumors newbie

Hi everyone !
    I accidently spilled a full cup of hot tea (no sugar) over my laptop 3 days ago. I've read several thread talking about that, but I would like to ask some more specific questions.

After the accident, I (stupidly) typed 3 or 4 sentences to warn my online contact, and shut off the MPB. Tea was flowing out from the keyboard, the trackpad, and some from the battery emplacement. When I rebooted my computer, everything was working, except that one key seemed to be stuck (filling the password box). After some seconds, the given key seems to be disabled (and halas, this one key I need in my password).

As the warranty was voided, I opened my MPB, and try to evaluate the damage. Apparently, almost no liquid has reached the logical cards. Most of the damage seems to be concentrated on the keyboard. I removed it totally (removing each layer and so on), and I cleaned it all. The problem still holds. I have a 'column' of keys which is malfunctionning (E, D, S, V, F3, etc...). It looks like some liquid went inside a 'contacter' (the very thin electronic layer under the keys), which probably act as the key was continually pushed.

I can use my laptop by plugging a usb keyboard, and everything is working well. No freeze, no bugs, nothing wrong. Except that when I use the virtual keyboard visualizer, I can see that some keys look like they are (alternatly) stuck and/or does not respond to sollicitation, and these are always the same keys.

The question is now : Is it possible it will solve itself (drying) in a few days ? And/Or how can I be sure that the problem is the keyboard itself, and not the logical circuitry behind it ? Would it be possible to know if when replacing the keyboard with a new (costly :( ) one, my problem will be solved ?

Thanks a lot for reading !

2. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Sounds like a keyboard issue, but I am not 100 percent sure
    is it a unibody or one of the older mbp's
    good luck

3. tanyia thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi !
    It's a MacBookPro rev 3.1 (middle2007), not a unibody. I'm worried about the fact that some liquid got out from the trackpad when I returned my MBP. When I dismantled the keyboard, I don't really see what could have been damaged, because all the circuitry seems to be sealed inside a watertight plastic layer. So I'm afraid the problem is on the trackpad-eletronic side...

Do you think it would be a good idea to 'rince' the electronic with a small amount of alcohol (as proposed in the liquid-keyboard-issues guide) then some water (demineralized) ? (with a phase of drying of course).

4. wesrk macrumors 6502a

how long did you leave it off?
    people with experience on this matter recommend shutting down immediately, removing the battery and letting it dry for a good amount of time, hours and hours even.

now that the damage is done, and you already opened it, you should try and buy a replacement keyboard and install it.

also, wait for others to give advice and search the forums, there's a very large number of posts regarding spills and liquids on macbooks and macbook pros.

other than that, comment on the results and good luck!

5. thomas998 macrumors newbie

Clean it more before its too late

First you are very lucky to have a macbook working at all after spilling liquid in it.

In the future don't bother to try and send any messages if you spill something again, next time just pull the power cord flip it up side down and try to get the battery out as quickly as possible... though hopefully there will not be a next time for the spill.

As you seem familiar with taking the thing apart, I would suggest you do the same thing again. I had a similar problem with a liquid spill in a macbook though in my case the logic board was also fried... after installing a new logic board my keyboard had some keys that were sticking and the button for the track pad made a very noticeable sticking noise when you pushed it.

My solution was to remove the keyboard again and put it in a large pan where I then poured denatured alcohol on it until it was completely covered. I let it set in there for a while and sloshed it around quite a bit... then pulled it out and using distilled water washed off the alcohol... next I used a blow dryer to make sure it was completely dry.

That is your best bet for fixing it yourself.. the other option is to buy a new keyboard for it. Good luck.

6. tanyia thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello !
    I didn't forget this thread :)
    For the moment, the MBP is still working perfectly (trackpad included), with a USB keyboard attached.
    I cleaned the keyboard with denatured alcohol, then rinced it with distilled water. I used a blower with moderate temperature, and for the moment, the keyboard is in a 'drying chamber' (full of dry rice), since several days. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the advices :)